Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A buddy told you can us LAMP electrical cords for speaker cable.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A buddy told you can us LAMP electrical cords for speaker cable.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes I think it'd be funny if some federal agency regulated the consumer electronics industry's advertising claims like the FDA regulates drug companys.

So you wouldn't be able to claim your snake oil produced better sound unless you were able to demonstrate it in scientific double blind trials. I think, it'd put a lot of companies out of business.
Old 11-15-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by belboz
Sometimes I think it'd be funny if some federal agency regulated the consumer electronics industry's advertising claims like the FDA regulates drug companys.

So you wouldn't be able to claim your snake oil produced better sound unless you were able to demonstrate it in scientific double blind trials. I think, it'd put a lot of companies out of business.
As well as they should regulate consumer stupidity; if you buy a product based on the package blurbs or the salesman's rhetoric you're a fool and deserve to be taken. If you buy something and it sounds good to your own ears in your listening environment, then a double-blind test to see if it really sounds good is as as useful as tits on a boar hog. And by the same token, if reading about Joe Scientist's double-blind test make you question your own feelings...ay carumba.
Folks, please buy what sounds good to you. Let you ears be the guide, because no matter what a piece of test equipment says, it's your ears that hear any diferences and not a machine's (or some nay-sayer whose pissed that your interconnects cost more then their HTIB).

Peace love and good hapiness stuff to all.
Old 11-15-02, 10:14 PM

I kinda agree with BELBOZ & DVD_O_RAMA. They are totally against it and that is OK. The one thing I will tell you is that you can read all you want but unless you actually try this yourself you just wont really know. If it sounds good to you now, who cares Noone would know anyway. These guys can go on about how stupid people are that buy into this or how stupid for not buying into it. If your happy with what you have just forget it and leave-well-enough-alone. I would not have bought those wires had I not tried this myself. I even started thinking "well maybe" but when the other 3 heard the difference and they werent even listening then I knew it wasn't me. The only reason I doubted myself anyway was because of reading all these damn arguements These guys may think I'm stupid for "falling" for this but I tell you what, I heard a significant difference and if the perfect test exist then what I did would be it. Because they had no clue or even get "into" this stuff to even think of listening for anything and they heard a difference. On top of all this my system is very low budget. So I can imagine what it would do to the speakers I dream of having(Gold Series Monitor Audio's)
Just be happy with what you have. I wish I was in most of your shoes, as far as the systems you have.

Last edited by HTROB; 11-15-02 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-16-02, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Rob, I was thinking about this post a few days ago. I was trying to think of what could have impacted your tests. One other thing could be the impedance of your speakers. If very low this might be a situ where gauge of wire could be a factor.

Anyway as I said in the start of this thread - this is one of the hottest issues in audio!