Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help! Can't decide between RP/tube TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help! Can't decide between RP/tube TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or read the forums at

[URL=http://www.hometheaterspot.com]

James
Old 12-20-02, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Late model, properly calibrated RPTVs in a good viewing environment (hint: not Best Buy's floor) will beat the pants out of direct-view. IMO, only Plasmas deliver better picture quality.

Size is probably the big issue. For small TVs (say, 40" or less), a direct view is fine. For larger TVs, you want to go RPTV, or if it's not too rich for your blood, plasma.

But in the end it's what makes you happy. A 43" Hitachi WS makes me happy and 5x" models make a few people I know happy.
Old 12-20-02, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as tweaking your RPTV, it's not really as hard as it sounds. With either of the calibration tapes or even the THX calibration screens (found on T2 and others) you can get a very nice image out of your set. The hard part will be believing the part about turning your sharpness control WAY down. At first you miss the edgy look. After a while, you realize your TV looks just like a movie screen. I recently went to one of the big multi-screen theathers and watched the new Bond movie on a big screen. For the first time, I really examined the image quality and it compared very well to my 50" Toshiba HD RPTV. I really wouldn't have believed it, but I was trying to be very fair and expected the film image to be far better. It wasn't. (granted the screen was 25' wide- I'm talking relative viewing experience here...)

JMO
TJ