Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ok, so Im getting a projection tv

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a widescreen, with the most plug ins possible(a/v and such, I dont want to use switches). Size isnt an issue as much as quality and features. Figure $3500 limit for that and a progressive scan DVD player together.

Recommendations? Even an idea of which companies to go with would help.
Old 10-29-02, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at Sony's new line of RPTV in the WV series.

57" and 65" models 600 and 700 series....

The only difference between the 600 and 700 series(besides price) is the 700 series has a double anti-reflective coating on the screen whereas the 600 series does not. This really does not concern me....the other difference is a new uniform brightness technology contained in the 700 series. Once again.....I took a look at the 600 series in the store(as my CC could not even tell me whether or not they would carry the 700) and the overall screen brightness looked very good. The 600 series in the 57" models run around $300.00 cheaper. You can pick one up thru onecall as of today's prices for $2720 minus another $80.00 for a promotion they are having thru Nov 20th. I would recommend upgrading the shipping no matter where you purchase your set unless you are okay with curb to curb delivery. Onecall has what they call White Glove delivery which is delivery into your home and the delivery time is only 2-3 days compared to the 2-14 day range on the free shipping. I already checked on delivery to my home and I would wind up paying $2790 which is not including any warranty I may buy. Not a bad price considering my local CC has this in the store for $2999 plus tax plus any shipping charge.

The other set I am looking at is the 53" Pioneer SD533......this widescreen set is one of the better from what I have read. A review I read stated this set has the best or one of the best line doublers available. The review also went on to say that the stretching of your full screen material on the Pioneer is about second to none. It stated most sets stretch from the middle out whereas the Pioneer stretches on the sides virtually leaving the middle part of the picture alone. I would like to see this for myself but this feature alone has me leaning toward the Pioneer. The Pioneer is $2499 minus 10% right now....it does not have a DVI interface....The Sony model does have a DVI interface. Someone else here may be able to better explain the DVI interface capabilities.