Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use a Bulk Tape Eraser for VHS tapes?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am contemplating the purchase of a Bulk Tape Eraser to erase my timeshifting VHS video tapes. I was wondering if these work very well. Will they "restore" the tape to 100% clean?

I know that the tape will degrade over time, I just can't stand to have the beginning of 2-3 shows at the start of a tape and I thought this may be a good solution. I could also use it to erase my security camera tapes if it works well.

Any features/brands to look out for? I saw one at Radio Shack and it looks decent.

Any comments welcome!

Sonicflood

Since this will be used in conjuction with my HT equipment, I'll assume this is the proper place for this post.
Old 10-28-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used a bulk eraser for carts and reel to reel tapes, but not VHS. When you record over the top of a tape that hasn't been erased the quality won't be as good as the first time through because there will be artifiacts left behind on the tape from the first recording. Did that make sense? Bulk erasing doesn't 'restore' the tape to a factory fresh condition, that's gone forever the first time it rolls and stretches. The recording quality will never be as good as the 1st time, but if you bulk erase it should be a beter quality than if you keep recording over the top of programs.

If it's cheap, and you use tapes a lot, why not get it? If it's not cheap, just save and buy a TiVo
Old 10-29-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks renaldow!

Sonicflood