Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTS question

I'm not really an expert in audio/video components, so be nice

Picked up a Pioneer VSX-D411 reciever this week. It was a vast improvement over what I had. Anyway, I'm having problems getting the DTS tracks to work off of my dvd player. I have a GE 1105P player. It doesn't have the DTS logo on the front, but when I switch audio tracks the dts shows up on my display. I tryed finding some info on the player to find out if was in fact dts capable but couldn't find anything on it. I do have an optical cable and the sound is remarkably better. So is there a big difference between the two? Or am I missing out and need to buy a new player?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-02, 07:01 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it doesn't have the logo on the player, then it usually isn't able to pass the DTS signal.

However, I do remember hearing of other players that supposedly couldn't output the DTS signal, but did. If you're getting audio, then I guess it's working. Since the player just passes the signal and it's your receiver that does the decoding, I wouldn't worry that you're missing something.

And if you aren't getting audio, I don't know that I would upgrade JUST to get DTS. The difference, while marginally noticeable, isn't great. And there aren't so many DTS titles out there that you're really missing out on a lot. Your next player will probably do DTS, so I'd just wait til you decide to (or have to) buy a new DVD player.

-David
Old 11-26-02, 02:34 PM

VSX-D411...do you like it?

I noticed that BB has it on sale. I was thinking of picking it up for mom on xmas, since her house was recently robbed and they took her receiver/dvd player.

(She originally had one of those "home theater sets" from pioneer - all speakers and receiver with built in DVD player......and then the #%$@ing burgler took it! But he did leave the speakers!)

She just bought a DVD/VCR combo player, and she has one of those "fancy" new tvs with all the output junk.

Anyhoo, your advice/experience is greatly appreciated!

thx
Old 11-27-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far I've really enjoyed it. I previously had one of those home theater in a box thingies. I went ahead and kept the speakers and just got the new reciever. Like I said before, the optical cable makes all the difference in the world. The reciever I had before didn't have an optical OR coax output.
Really though, the price is what got me to buy it. I wanted a new reciever and I didn't really want to lay down a bunch of dough on something and have it crap out on me after the warranty runs out.