Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Component Switching through receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a16x9 RPTV and I use my Denon 2802 to switch between my 2 DVD players (using Component wires). Is this seriously degrading my picture quality, or is the Denon good enough to do this right? My tv only has 2 component inputs and the other one has a JVC JS-X111 component switcher hooked to it (for all 3 video game systems). I have heard that the JS-X111 is good enough that there is no picture quality loss. Is this true? Should I get another one and use it to switch my DVD Players instead of using my Denon? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-26-02, 09:10 PM
Cool New Member

I think you'll be fine..

To test it out, why not unplug the games, plug in a DVD direct to TV and leave the "Denon switched" one in the other TV input, and switch back and forth to see if the differences are even there.

Of course you'll need two copies of the same DVD, but I'm sure you can borrow one from a friend for this "test".

Alfer
Old 10-26-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be fine; people (including me) worry about component switching far more than is needed.

If you do a search at hometheaterforum.com, there are numerous threads by people who have used a cheap Radio Shack input selector (with the two audio, one composite video) as a component video switch. For example, you can plug the red component video wire into the yellow composite video hole, the green component video wire into the red audio hole, and the blue component video wire into the white audio hole. There are many, many people who have done this with no noticeable degradation.
Old 10-27-02, 09:06 PM

The AVR-2802 has a component video switching bandwidth of 27mhz, and high quality parts. Regular NTSC at 480i requires 6.8mhz to switch. Progressive scan DVD (480p) requires 13.5Mhz to switch.
Old 10-30-02, 09:39 AM

Personally I feel it has to degrade quality. The more junctions the more the picture degrades. That simple. I have all my sources going right to my TV. DVD, Xbox and STB HDTV. They all are going straight into my TV. I have components in my preamp, but never use them. I am sure you may not even notice, but I try to get the best possible picture and sound that my pockets could afford. Even when I used to have interlaced player. The SCable ran straight to my set. I just use a seperate SCable for the OSD of my Pre.
Old 10-30-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
You should be fine; people (including me) worry about component switching far more than is needed.

If you do a search at hometheaterforum.com, there are numerous threads by people who have used a cheap Radio Shack input selector (with the two audio, one composite video) as a component video switch. For example, you can plug the red component video wire into the yellow composite video hole, the green component video wire into the red audio hole, and the blue component video wire into the white audio hole. There are many, many people who have done this with no noticeable degradation.
That's what I'm using right now to switch between the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube - I can't see a difference between a direct connection and through the box.