DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Universal Remote Control?

Old 10-21-02, 10:09 AM
Banned

Universal Remote Control?

I just got a new Reciever and Surround Sound system. I now have 5 remotes: DVD, Reciever, HD Cable Box, Tivo, TV.

I would like to get 1 remote that could control all of these. I know that I will lose out on some functionality (Tivo) by getting 1 remote, but can anyone suggest a good remote that will has a ton of functionality?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-02, 11:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

You may not be able to find a universal remote that has DVR functionality at all... at least, I couldn't when I was looking for one about a year or two ago.

I picked up a very inexpensive ($10-20) Magnavox universal remote from Best Buy that controls six devices... it's backlit (the cheapest backlit remote I could find) and it has learning capability. It's been more than enough. I couldn't find the exact same one on their website, but this one looks similar:

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...848&e=11179149

If you (or anyone) buys it from Best Buy, please remember to click on the affiliate link at the top of the page... thanks!
Old 10-21-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.remotecentral.com/

This site has all kinds of info on remotes. I'm sure you can find one in your budget.

I want this one:

Old 10-21-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A remote that's been getting great reviews ever since it came out more than a year ago is the Home Theater Master MX-500. You can find a complete review of it at www.remotecentral.com and you can find it to purchace by searching on Google or at eBay. It'll cost you about $115-$120 online, which sounds steep (not as steep as that Pronto BigDave wants ), but in my opinion it's well worth it.

The MX-500 has a few things going for it. One is that it's a learning remote, so you can teach it remote codes from your existing remote, including your Tivo. It has a massive amount of memory, so unlike a lot of learning remotes, you won't run out of learning capability.

Second, it has an LCD screen at the top, with a row of buttons down each side. You can assign these buttons to do whatever you need them to do, then custom label them on the LCD screen so you can remember what they are.

I've had the MX-500 for a couple of weeks now and I love it. I also have full functionalty of my Dish Network PVR-721, which is a satellite receiver/harddisk recorder similar to a Tivo.
Old 10-21-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If on a budget check out the One for All Cinema 7 (or it's sister over a Radio Shack). It is programable and has a TON of pre-programed codes making set up easy. You can pick one up at BB for 40.00 or on the net for about 30.00

Excellent remote for the money OR to get one to decide what features you really want to have, etc....
Old 10-21-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i 2nd the one for all cinema 7 remote for like $25... it's good enough for me.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml
Old 10-21-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
A remote that's been getting great reviews ever since it came out more than a year ago is the Home Theater Master MX-500. You can find a complete review of it at www.remotecentral.com and you can find it to purchace by searching on Google or at eBay. It'll cost you about $115-$120 online, which sounds steep (not as steep as that Pronto BigDave wants ), but in my opinion it's well worth it.

The MX-500 has a few things going for it. One is that it's a learning remote, so you can teach it remote codes from your existing remote, including your Tivo. It has a massive amount of memory, so unlike a lot of learning remotes, you won't run out of learning capability.

Second, it has an LCD screen at the top, with a row of buttons down each side. You can assign these buttons to do whatever you need them to do, then custom label them on the LCD screen so you can remember what they are.

I've had the MX-500 for a couple of weeks now and I love it. I also have full functionalty of my Dish Network PVR-721, which is a satellite receiver/harddisk recorder similar to a Tivo.
I just got an MX-500 a couple days ago from here:

Surf Remote Control

I could have gotten it a little cheaper (maybe $8.00 or so) but this remote has four different variations and this site assures that it has the latest incarnation (which it does).

I studied this a lot. I much prefer a hard button remote to a touchscreen (personal preference of course; many prefer a touchscreen and this is not the remote for them) and this one seemed like the best value around. I've installed my Sony Wega TV, Yamaha DSP-A1 Receiver, Pioneer 919 DVD/LD player, Cable Box, Toshiba VCR and my TiVo (the TiVo presets are kind of screwy so I'll have to fix them with the Learn function). I still have to go through the Learn function for my Malata DVD player for which it doesn't have presets and do some more tweaking.

This remote is great!

Last edited by movielib; 10-22-02 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 01:34 AM

Sony-AV3000 for 97.99 without shipping or taxes, or u can even do a search on yahoo for sony av3000 and u can get it for under $100 bucks shipped, i love this remote