DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

question about RCA F38310

Old 10-20-02, 10:30 PM
Cool New Member

question about RCA F38310

I have Directv and was wanting to go with a widescreen, but HDTV is not critical for me, but a plus.

This unit is a 38" with Directv HDTV built in. I got it from Best Buy as an "open item" for $1100. The way I priced things, is that a 40" would run about $1500 + the cost of HDTV receiver (eventual purchase). My concern is that I don't like to buy components bundled, but this seemed like a pretty good deal. So far I am happy with this tv but is there a good valid point anyone has that would talk me into taking it back?

It has mixed reviews with it leaning more towards the positve. Just trying to make up my mind for the 30 day return policy.

Thanks!!
Old 10-21-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been looking at this set recently also. The RCA is discontinued and has been droping in price (lowest I've seen was $1551.00 a couple weeks back at CC). The only things I've seen on this set was the older models had some problems, but the newer versions fixed these. (Last 3 digits of serial number on back side of case JX5, and YX5 being the latest I belive). I do think the picture is stunning, I would like to see some OTA channels running on it (My local WB & ABC broadcast in HD). I'm trying to save up although I have some reservations, my biggest concerns are:

• Only one set of Component Video inputs
  • No DirecTV output (kinda makes my replay useless or antenna channels only).
  • 480P input automatically switched to FULL (I guess other sets do this also don't know what the ratio is).

I would say that for $1100. you got a good deal compared to buying a HD monitor, and tuner.

Old 10-22-02, 11:25 PM
    Cool New Member

thanks...

Thanks Edison for your input...

The picture is great but some of the drawbacks really have me doubting.