Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wide screen questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wide screen questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wide screen questions

1. Can you strech regular TV to take up the whole screen, and if so does it look bad?

2. Is samsung a good brand for widescreen TVs

3. I have a dolby digital 5.1 sorround sound system, and dvd with optical cable and s-video cable. Do I need to buy anything else as far as the TV goes, like any kind of converters or anything?

4. Will there be anymore black bars on the top and bottom if I am watching a widescreen dvd? I know there is 2 types of widescreen. some the black bars are bigger than other.

thanks.
Old 10-15-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Most of what you are looking for is in the link up top

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=165672
Old 10-16-02, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Yes, you can stretch regular TV so that you don't have bars on the side of the picture. It will make people and objects look fatter than they are. I personally watch all of my network TV stretched and rarely think twice about it. May take you a little bit of time to get used to.

2. I have seen some of the Samsung widescreen sets and they look pretty good to me. The big question is reliability. I almost bought a 55 inch Samsung set. I had one delivered to me and it had a problem in the first month (everything on screen turned a hazy red color). I had it returned and the next one that arrived was physically damaged during shipping. The store was slow to find a replacement, and I was getting a little nervous about Samsung, so I bought a Mitsubishi from another store after getting a refund. Maybe some Samsung owners can chime in with their experience.

3. If you have or get a widescreen digital TV, you will probably want to use a progressive scan DVD player with it. If you have one or get one, then you will need component cables to hook it up to the TV (if you want to watch a progressive image). Otherwise, you can use optical and S video.

4. Widescreen sets are 16x9 or 1:77 to 1. Since most widescreen presentations are 1:85 to 1 or 2:35 to 1, they are wider than your set and will have black bars on top and bottom. You may not see the bars on a 1:85 presentation due to the overscan on most TV's. You will have black bars on a 2:35 presentation.