DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony Home Theater in a Box

Old 10-03-02, 03:34 PM

Sony Home Theater in a Box

I am thinking about getting one of these systems that I have seen at Best Buy & Circuitcity for $399.99. It is 600 watts and has a 100 watt powered subwoofer. Is this a good subwoofer? Does anyone know anything else about this system? This will be my first home theater system and I need info. I just want something that I can hook to my Playstation 2 and that is good for DVD's. Also, how much power is 600 watts? And is it worth upgrading the speaker wire that comes with the system to say Monster speaker wire?
Old 10-03-02, 03:53 PM

If you want a solid HTB system, stick to Yamaha or Kenwood. They overall are a better unit than that of the Sony. I personally would get a Yamaha since I like the build quality of their receivers better than Kenwood. Onkyo and Denon also make systems, but they are probably a little out of what you are willing to spend.

Also... do not, I repeat... DO NOT get one of those all in one systems. By all in one, I mean ones that the DVD player and receiver are as one. Those have to be the worst things ever, not only if one thing goes wrong, it is totally dead... but they cut corners and use cheaper materials in those units.

Do not worry about power, Sony loves to lie/expand the truth about their ratings. Plus, for a system like this and in the entry level... as long as you get a good amp with good clean power, how much watts means jack squat.

As for speaker wire, you don't have to upgrade the wire, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. It is a cheap (well, can be cheap unless you get wire that is like $8000 a meter) tweak. I would however suggest AudioQuest... AR ain't that bad either. I just don't think Monster is all that for what you pay, you can get AudioQuest or AR for the same price or cheaper and it be better.

Last edited by zargon; 10-03-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would make sure to listen to the Sony system in store before buying it. Most of the ones I've seen demo'ed are actually fairly quiet.
Old 10-03-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sony is a very good choice and it's a Sony that is the number one rated in the new consumer reports.
Old 10-04-02, 01:17 AM

Give a Pioneer system a listen also.
Old 10-04-02, 09:18 AM

Sony, number 1 rated... ha... If you are brained washed by all their marketing maybe. Sony receivers flat out suck donkey balls. A Yamaha HTB is going to give you a better and more solid receiver.
Old 10-04-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zargon
Sony, number 1 rated... ha... If you are brained washed by all their marketing maybe. Sony receivers flat out suck donkey balls. A Yamaha HTB is going to give you a better and more solid receiver.
agreed...except for the donkey balls part. sony makes a decent mainstream consumer product that will probably last a long time.

i personally hate kenwood receivers. enough said.

yamaha and pioneer make better low-end receivers and probably better speakers than sony. i doubt any of these HTiB systems have a decent sub.

my advice would be to buy a low end pioneer receiver, almost any speakers would be preferable to those HTiB systems, and a Sony SA-WM40 sub. you should get out the door (online at least) for under $500. you'll probably want to upgrade your speakers later, but at least you'll have the option.

14 gauge speaker wire is about $20 for a roll at Home Depot...recommended.

good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Old 10-04-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this is the one with the seperate receiver and 5 disc carousel I think all the negative comments are misguided. That setup definitely is not quiet and for $400 is a pretty good deal if you just want to get everything at once.

My dad uses one of these as his secondary system mainly just so he can play dvds upstairs instead of having to be in the basement. He never even bothered to hook up the rear speakers and it sounded pretty good to me. Much better than the little Sony Dream Theater sets that have the dvd player built into the pint size receiver.
Old 10-04-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sony Home Theater in a Box

Originally posted by dbmottle
I am thinking about getting one of these systems that I have seen at Best Buy & Circuitcity for $399.99. It is 600 watts and has a 100 watt powered subwoofer. Is this a good subwoofer? Does anyone know anything else about this system? This will be my first home theater system and I need info. I just want something that I can hook to my Playstation 2 and that is good for DVD's. Also, how much power is 600 watts? And is it worth upgrading the speaker wire that comes with the system to say Monster speaker wire?
this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

for the price it will sound far better than the Tv speakers you are probably using now. It does Dolby Digital and DTs decoding and does not include a dvd player. Just receiver and speakers with a subwoofer. For the price it will not be a bad choice.

give this a listen also

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

It is $100 dollars less so the build quality might be less?

if you go with separates you will spend more but will get better quality.
Old 10-04-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the Sony DAV-S300 about two years ago and it has served me fine. DD/DTS, AM/FM, CD, with auxillary inputs for my LD player and our videogame systems. The small sattelite speakers also help with the WAF.

I'd love to build a super system piece by piece, but until I win the lotto, this'll do fine for now.
Old 10-05-02, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Sony uses a single full range drive in the speakers - its basiclly the same as the speaker in your tv. I would listen to the others first. They are all more alike then different but there are a few with two way speakers in this price range.
Old 10-05-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, keep in mind I was upgrading from a cobbled together Prologic system, with unmatched speakers, and my fronts being kinda old. So I probably would have been impressed by any improvement.
Old 10-07-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey everyone...I've never post in the HT forum much, but I'm looking to buy a small HT system this week, and I'd like your opinions...

I was going to get a Sony, the 5500, but I want pro-scan, because I'll be getting a digital tv soon enough. Anyway, I saw the Yamaha YHT-300 in Best Buy (which is where I will buy my system) and it seems like it's a better system (no DVD player). I'd be throwing that together with a Sony pro-scan 665 model 5 DVD changer... in silver of course.

Does this seem like a viable option? I have heard that, even though I'm generally a Sony fan (own a VVega, Cybershot, Clie, Vaio ), they aren't the best at small HT systems (especially those darned dreamsystems). The Yamaha model is the bottom of their line, but I don't need anything extravagant for my apartment anyway.

The Yamaha also has "matrix" 6.1... Is this just a joke? Does it really come close to 6.1? It just seems like a gimmick to me.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-07-02, 09:51 AM

I would seriously look at picking up a Panasonic RP72 (I think that is the 5 disc version). For the price they are damn near impossible to beat, especially running the prog scan chip they run.
Old 10-07-02, 10:26 AM

I would seriously look at picking up a Panasonic RP72 (I think that is the 5 disc version). For the price they are damn near impossible to beat, especially running the prog scan chip they run.
Then there's the $40+ in Sony Card credit I have to burn....

If it weren't for that, I'd maybe be getting another brand. I do respect this forum's love for the Pannys. But for $150, I'm leaning toward the Sony.... Is there really that much of a difference? If so, I would consider the Panny. It's going for much more than $150 though (seemingly around $280). Also, the Sony sells for $230 to $250 as it is, much higher than what I'd be paying.

So what I need to know is...am I losing that much by going to the Sony 655 rather than the Panny CP72? This is an investment, I know that, but I just don't know if it's worth dropping another $130 for the Panasonic.

Thanks again for all your advice!
Old 10-07-02, 10:37 AM

Panasonic does use the SAGE chip with Faroudja's DCDi, which is one of the best alogrithms out there. Faroudja products run a lot normal, but Panasonic is bring this to you for same or cheaper then the previous versions models.

Is it worth it for $40... I don't know. That is up to you, the image quality may be minor, but for their normal prices the Panasonic is the only option I think.
Old 10-07-02, 11:14 AM

Panasonic does use the SAGE chip with Faroudja's DCDi, which is one of the best alogrithms out there. Faroudja products run a lot normal, but Panasonic is bring this to you for same or cheaper then the previous versions models.

Is it worth it for $40... I don't know. That is up to you, the image quality may be minor, but for their normal prices the Panasonic is the only option I think.
I see your point. If I couldnt' get the Sony for $195 through My Sony (Dreamlink) and then get the extra $40 plus off, I'd buy the Panny. But for the $150 or so the Sony will cost, it's fine with me to have a very good DVD player with pro-scan and the 5 disc changer. If I need to get an extra special one sometime down the line, I'll just do it. But for now, I think I'll go with the Sony.

Zargon, thanks for the insight!