DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Using a compressor in a HT?

Old 10-02-02, 08:09 PM
Cool New Member

Using a compressor in a HT?

Anyone use one? My Pioneer DVD has the dynamic range compression option but it doesn't sound that good. Reason is that I have a small setup and constantly have to adjust the volume so I can hear the dialogue but not piss off the neighbors when the scenes get loud. I was thinking about sticking a compressor in there to even it up, as well as using it in home recording. I was thinking about getting this link (seems to be reviewed well for home recording) and is $89, and has auto attack/release and a peak limiter. But I'm not sure how you'd connect it to the reciever.
Old 10-03-02, 12:21 AM
X
Administrator

I know what you mean about bad sounding compression. Sometimes my input switcher gets its compressor turned on and it takes me a while of wondering what happened to the sound before I find the cause. And I find the compressors in my DVD players to be deficient as well.

That looks like a really nice unit. You know it's only 2-channel and uses 1/4" plugs, right? But if you're willing to play with it for a while to get the sound you want (and it looks like you could play for several days doing that) it appears to have all the flexibility you'd want or need.

You could connect it between the preamp and amplifier section of your receiver. If you have preamp-out, amp-in, that would be ideal. I assume the unit has a bypass for when you don't want limiting. Otherwise you could connect it to the tape monitor connections and then listen with the tape monitor switched in. Just turn off the tape monitor when you don't want limiting.

Recording from it would be a little trickier as you would probably need to record directly from its output. But are you sure you want to do compressing in your recording and not just play back through it? Or do you need limiting? What are you recording and onto what?
Old 10-03-02, 01:05 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for that tip, I'll have to check my receiver this weekend for a pre-amp out.

For recording, mainly I'm looking for a limiter. Right now I'm recording through a Midiman Audio Buddy preamp into my PC (Audiophile 2496 soundcard). I was having some problems keeping the peaks under control (clipping) when recording with my friend last weekend. I probably wouldn't use an outboard compressor for mastering though, just for the sake of convenience (plug-ins instead).

Last edited by yellowperil; 10-03-02 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-03-02, 01:09 AM
X
Administrator

Same soundcard I use in my home theater computer. Nice, isn't it?