DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My quick CEDIA report

Old 09-30-02, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

My quick CEDIA report

I just got back form CEDIA! I am super busy with work but wanted to drop by post at least once today.

I guess the biggest thing at the show was the new second generation DLP chip. Almost all of the projector companies had them. The best set up at the show was the new sharp (~$10k). I must say I have never been a fan of dlp but now they are very good. Are the blacks as good as CRT? No, but they are good enough now! I would say it is about the same as the good plasmas in black level now. Very cool now we only need the price to drop so we all can have 100" screens.

Lots of distributed audio stuff. But most based on MP3 except Meridians which uses MLP and Pioneers which has MP3 and the new Windows media 9. If you have not heard about media 9 good do some reading! It sounds great and also can compress HD video to fit on a standard DVD. I saw this at the show and it was very good. How soon until Gate$ rules the world?

There were a few new rec/dvd from a couple of companies that have digital connections for DVD-A and bass management.

Plasmas, plasmas everywhere plasmas. Good news is the prices are dropping and blacks are getting better! Most are made by the same few companies but everyone and their brother has OEMed them.

Over all the show had record pre-register numbers but the turn out was slightly less then the year before if you ask me. You could tell the manufactures have held back the new product dollars this year - I guess because of the fear of next years economy (scary!). Anyway I will try and post so more detail later!
Old 09-30-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for the update. did you by any chance get to see the Samsung DLP sets? i saw them at the HT expo in NY a while back and i thought they looked solid...but the recent reviews havn't been so positive, with lots of complaints about posterization, color banding, and others. i love the no burn-in feature as well as the small form factor and idea of having a 50" pc monitor. do you think dlp needs another year?
Old 10-01-02, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Yeap, I did see it. I also saw it in NY and was bklown away with it there. At cedia I saw it in the High def garden next to all the other CRT sets. The black levels were not on par but still I think its a great set. I did not give it mopre then a passing look. The set that most caught my eye was a LCOS Toshiba. I think LCOS is simular to DLP and this was a very good picture even compared to the CRT sets.
Old 10-01-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bfrank
Yeap, I did see it. I also saw it in NY and was bklown away with it there. At cedia I saw it in the High def garden next to all the other CRT sets. The black levels were not on par but still I think its a great set. I did not give it mopre then a passing look. The set that most caught my eye was a LCOS Toshiba. I think LCOS is simular to DLP and this was a very good picture even compared to the CRT sets.
i think that toshiba is the model that upconverts everything to 1080p. supposed to be pretty nice. the only negative i've heard about it is that it won't accept a 1080p signal from an external source.
Old 10-01-02, 04:25 PM

Did you see the JVC S21 projector?
Old 10-01-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any chance you got to take a look at the Sony Cineza HS2 and HS10? They should be some interesting new additions to the budget pj arena.
Old 10-02-02, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

The JVC is the DILA right?

It was super good but they were playing hand picked stuff which made it hard to tell how good the blacks were but still it was really good and was projected on the biggest screen of all demos- ~150"

I dont think Sony was running a demo. If so I did not see it.