DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Cheap place to buy hd receiver? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/239501-cheap-place-buy-hd-receiver.html)

socalgoblin 09-26-02 11:10 AM

Cheap place to buy hd receiver?

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy a hd receiver either online or b&m in the la/oc area?

Movie_Man 09-26-02 11:53 AM

What kind do you want?

www.jandr.com has some really good pricing & service. I got my HD unit from them about 18 months ago.

skinsfan 09-27-02 12:43 PM

The Samsung T151 tends to be the cheapest. J&R just marked them down.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=3146948&Sort=

You should also check with your cable company. In NYC they are installing them for free for people who call to ask, but are not advertising them.

jonny#5 09-29-02 10:40 PM

Originally posted by skinsfan

You should also check with your cable company. In NYC they are installing them for free for people who call to ask, but are not advertising them.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN!? I am in NYC, have Time Warner Cable and the DTV service. I also have a TOshiba 55' HD rady TV, how do i get the free receiver?

THANKS!!!

jonny#5 10-01-02 09:15 AM

Originally posted by skinsfan

Hello? anyone, anyone?

Icculus 10-01-02 09:17 AM

Originally posted by jonny#5
Hello? anyone, anyone?
I don't live in NYC and I don't have TWC for cable (NH + ATT + HD-ready set = :() but I would imagine you should call the cable company to find out about the free receiver....

renaldow 10-01-02 09:18 AM

The post says to call and ask, what more do you want?

jonny#5 10-01-02 10:12 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
The post says to call and ask, what more do you want?
I think you can be a little more polite. There are more than 1 cable provider in NYC.

broadwayblue 10-01-02 11:02 AM

yes, TWC offers their NYC customers the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box at no extra charge (over the monthly price for the regular box.) you can get HBO, Showtime, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS in HD. hopefully Discovery HD, HDNET, MSG, and ESPN HD (when it launches next April) will be added soon. i'm so close to getting an HD set...definitely within the next year.

oh yeah, and most TWC people have no idea that they offer HD, let alone what it is. be persistent. i used to have the direct number to the HD people but i can't find it. i'll look for it.

jonny#5 10-01-02 11:44 AM

Originally posted by broadwayblue
yes, TWC offers their NYC customers the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box at no extra charge (over the monthly price for the regular box.) you can get HBO, Showtime, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS in HD. hopefully Discovery HD, HDNET, MSG, and ESPN HD (when it launches next April) will be added soon. i'm so close to getting an HD set...definitely within the next year.

oh yeah, and most TWC people have no idea that they offer HD, let alone what it is. be persistent. i used to have the direct number to the HD people but i can't find it. i'll look for it.

Thanks broadwayblue! I just hung up with TWC. It is no extra charge for the reciever, but there is a $30.50 installation charge. I have them comig on Saturday to install.

If i have a HDTV ready TV, im good to go, right?

skinsfan 10-02-02 12:18 PM

Probably, I'm pretty sure the box uses the component inputs to send in the signal. So if your set is 1080i compatible and has 1080i component inputs, your good to go. Otherwise you need a transcoder to convert the signal to RGB. Check Key digital if you need the transcoder.

jonny#5 10-02-02 02:36 PM

Ok...my TV def has 2 sets of Component Inputs, so I guess I am all good, No?

Movie_Man 10-03-02 04:28 PM

Ok...my TV def has 2 sets of Component Inputs, so I guess I am all good, No?
Component inputs are not HD inputs. You should have inputs labeled specifically for 1080i.
Regular component inputs are only 480i or 480p for things such as your DVD player.

jonny#5 10-03-02 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Component inputs are not HD inputs. You should have inputs labeled specifically for 1080i.
Regular component inputs are only 480i or 480p for things such as your DVD player.

Wait, now im very confused. I have a Toshiba TN55x81. It has 2 Colorstream HD inputs, I see nothing on the TV about 1080i, but the manual says

"the colorstream HD1 and HD2 jacks are available for both Progressive (480p) and Interlace (480i, 1080i) scan systems"

Did I get ripped off? I thought this was an HD ready (upgradeable TV)?
Am I wasting my time getting an HD Cable box? Can someone help me, please?

Icculus 10-03-02 10:30 PM

Wait, now im very confused. I have a Toshiba TN55x81. It has 2 Colorstream HD inputs, I see nothing on the TV about 1080i, but the manual says

"the colorstream HD1 and HD2 jacks are available for both Progressive (480p) and Interlace (480i, 1080i) scan systems"

Did I get ripped off? I thought this was an HD ready (upgradeable TV)?
Am I wasting my time getting an HD Cable box? Can someone help me, please?

No, you're fine. Component inputs aren't always HD inputs but on your set they are. It says right in that quote that you used that your TV accepts 1080i through both component inputs....

garrettg 10-06-02 09:49 AM

Is TWC in NYC the only cable company offering HD boxes? I'm in Seattle with AT&T cable.

Thanks,
Garrett