DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap place to buy hd receiver?

Old 09-26-02, 11:10 AM

Cheap place to buy hd receiver?

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy a hd receiver either online or b&m in the la/oc area?
Old 09-26-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What kind do you want?

www.jandr.com has some really good pricing & service. I got my HD unit from them about 18 months ago.
Old 09-27-02, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

The Samsung T151 tends to be the cheapest. J&R just marked them down.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=3146948&Sort=

You should also check with your cable company. In NYC they are installing them for free for people who call to ask, but are not advertising them.
Old 09-29-02, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by skinsfan

You should also check with your cable company. In NYC they are installing them for free for people who call to ask, but are not advertising them.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN!? I am in NYC, have Time Warner Cable and the DTV service. I also have a TOshiba 55' HD rady TV, how do i get the free receiver?

THANKS!!!
Old 10-01-02, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by skinsfan

Hello? anyone, anyone?
Old 10-01-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jonny#5
Hello? anyone, anyone?
I don't live in NYC and I don't have TWC for cable (NH + ATT + HD-ready set = ) but I would imagine you should call the cable company to find out about the free receiver....
Old 10-01-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The post says to call and ask, what more do you want?
Old 10-01-02, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by renaldow
The post says to call and ask, what more do you want?
I think you can be a little more polite. There are more than 1 cable provider in NYC.
Old 10-01-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes, TWC offers their NYC customers the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box at no extra charge (over the monthly price for the regular box.) you can get HBO, Showtime, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS in HD. hopefully Discovery HD, HDNET, MSG, and ESPN HD (when it launches next April) will be added soon. i'm so close to getting an HD set...definitely within the next year.

oh yeah, and most TWC people have no idea that they offer HD, let alone what it is. be persistent. i used to have the direct number to the HD people but i can't find it. i'll look for it.
Old 10-01-02, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by broadwayblue
yes, TWC offers their NYC customers the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box at no extra charge (over the monthly price for the regular box.) you can get HBO, Showtime, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS in HD. hopefully Discovery HD, HDNET, MSG, and ESPN HD (when it launches next April) will be added soon. i'm so close to getting an HD set...definitely within the next year.

oh yeah, and most TWC people have no idea that they offer HD, let alone what it is. be persistent. i used to have the direct number to the HD people but i can't find it. i'll look for it.
Thanks broadwayblue! I just hung up with TWC. It is no extra charge for the reciever, but there is a $30.50 installation charge. I have them comig on Saturday to install.

If i have a HDTV ready TV, im good to go, right?
Old 10-02-02, 12:18 PM
Cool New Member

Probably, I'm pretty sure the box uses the component inputs to send in the signal. So if your set is 1080i compatible and has 1080i component inputs, your good to go. Otherwise you need a transcoder to convert the signal to RGB. Check Key digital if you need the transcoder.
Old 10-02-02, 02:36 PM
Banned

Ok...my TV def has 2 sets of Component Inputs, so I guess I am all good, No?
Old 10-03-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok...my TV def has 2 sets of Component Inputs, so I guess I am all good, No?
Component inputs are not HD inputs. You should have inputs labeled specifically for 1080i.
Regular component inputs are only 480i or 480p for things such as your DVD player.
Old 10-03-02, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Component inputs are not HD inputs. You should have inputs labeled specifically for 1080i.
Regular component inputs are only 480i or 480p for things such as your DVD player.
Wait, now im very confused. I have a Toshiba TN55x81. It has 2 Colorstream HD inputs, I see nothing on the TV about 1080i, but the manual says

"the colorstream HD1 and HD2 jacks are available for both Progressive (480p) and Interlace (480i, 1080i) scan systems"

Did I get ripped off? I thought this was an HD ready (upgradeable TV)?
Am I wasting my time getting an HD Cable box? Can someone help me, please?
Old 10-03-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait, now im very confused. I have a Toshiba TN55x81. It has 2 Colorstream HD inputs, I see nothing on the TV about 1080i, but the manual says

"the colorstream HD1 and HD2 jacks are available for both Progressive (480p) and Interlace (480i, 1080i) scan systems"

Did I get ripped off? I thought this was an HD ready (upgradeable TV)?
Am I wasting my time getting an HD Cable box? Can someone help me, please?
No, you're fine. Component inputs aren't always HD inputs but on your set they are. It says right in that quote that you used that your TV accepts 1080i through both component inputs....
Old 10-06-02, 09:49 AM

Is TWC in NYC the only cable company offering HD boxes? I'm in Seattle with AT&T cable.

Thanks,
Garrett