Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need some help - surround speakers...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently, I have the following HT setup :

Receiver : Sony STR-DE845

L&R speakers : Fisher 3 way, ST515;120w rated/240w max;15"woofer, 4" mid, 1/2" tweeter.

Surround speakers :
Center : Sony SS-CN100, 80 watt max.
Satellites : Sony SS-SR100, 50 watt max.

Sub : Sony SA-WM20, 50 watts.

The surround speakers are my main concern. I enjoy the sound of the Fisher speakers, but I find the surrounds have always been lacking (I've really been able to get use out of them over the past year - prior to that I never used them, mainly because my old receiver didn't have DD5.1, let alone DTS, and prior to me getting married the available space with which I had to work with didn't reallt accommodate a surround set-up). In any event, I have been thinking about upgrading to a better center channel and satellites - but I also want to match the speakers as best as I can to the Fishers (assuming that's possible) . I'd really hate to get new L&R speakers to replace the Fisher set, becuase they do sound very good, and are powerful! (they're floor standing speakers, and though I paid $200 for both, this is one time where I definitely got more bang for my buck).

I'm basically looking for suggestions on surround speakers, within a modest budget. I would have to say anything between $500 - $600 would be do-able with my budget. I've heard people mention paradigm speakers often, and I wanted to hear any suggestions you guys might have.

Thanks in advance to all!
Old 09-25-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well there are several issues here.

I hope you have balanced and set up your system using the test tones or a test disc. Also be sure to check the polarity of the speaker cables.

Next I believe it will be difficult to match the Fisher speakers with something more current. If you find the surrounds lacking you would be amazed at what three matched speakers across the front would sound like. Ideally all 5 should match.

Perhaps the first thing you should do is to hit some of the local stores in your area and listen to some different things to give you more ideas.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-02, 10:01 AM

I hope you have balanced and set up your system using the test tones or a test disc. Also be sure to check the polarity of the speaker cables.
I have, but not since I initially set everything up (a little over a year ago). And the polarity is good also.
Next I believe it will be difficult to match the Fisher speakers with something more current. If you find the surrounds lacking you would be amazed at what three matched speakers across the front would sound like. Ideally all 5 should match.
I knew beforehand that the sat's and center weren't the best - I would say they're on par with your average HTIB sat's and center. I got them as part of a package deal with my old receiver, but I never used them - and once I did use them, I was getting rid of said receiver for the current Sony DE845. They sound OK, but I know I can get better sat's and a center and have a dramatic increase in my sound. I know, replacing the Fisher's might be the "best" option also, but you really have to hear these speakers to believe it. I was never a fan of Fisher, nor am I now to be honest - but these speakers really sound great. Plus, to replace everything right now isn't financially "responsible" (i.e. - the wife might get upset if I spend too much - heh), so I thought just I would just upgrade the sat's now and maybe down the road replace the receiver and Fishers and keep them for strictly radio/parties/etc.
Perhaps the first thing you should do is to hit some of the local stores in your area and listen to some different things to give you more ideas.
I went to my local Best Buy, and they seem to be pushing JBL and Sony. A local 6th Ave. Electronics had the Paradigms, and I really liked the sound - but granted, it was a matched set. The clerk went so far as to suggest I bring in my Fisher's to hook up to their setup in lieu of the matched set, but to move these speakers is a job in and of itself - let alone transport them to NJ.

If I could just hit Lotto, all of this would be so much easier
Old 09-25-02, 05:11 PM
Cool New Member

go get the polk r15 bookshelfs from circiut city. only 80 bucks for the pair. hell buy a bunch of em. they are real good speakers for
surrounds.