DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PAL on regular TV question..

Old 09-23-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PAL on regular TV question..

Hey all...

I am getting my Panasonic RP82 chipped petty soon, I found a decent place that does it. However, the man said "We like to point out that the modification on the RP82 does not convert PAL to NTSC. It enables the player to play PAL, but you still need a multisystem TV."

Does this just mean that Anamorphic Widescreen PAL DVDs will be somewhat distorted? Or are there more issues at hand?

Thanks,

Matt Borkin
Old 09-23-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are more issues at hand. Different frame rates, resolutions, technical specifications, etc. Instead of chipping the Panny you'd be better off spending the money on a second player that can convert PAL to NTSC.
Old 09-24-02, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Salty,

Whats the cheapest unit that will convert pal to ntsc properly? Even cheap ones with button-press hacks would do -- if they apply, that is...

thanks,

matt
Old 09-24-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If your players converted but does not convert pal to NTSC you may want to head down to radio shack and get an PAL/NTSC converter. It sits between the player and the TV and does the conversions.
Old 09-27-02, 12:18 PM
Banned

Standalong converters are expensive!

My Raite 715 DVD player plays everything and converts, and it only cost me $140 a few years ago when I bought it.

If you have a video capture card in your computer then you could potentially watch your PAL signal on your TV if your desparate.
Old 09-27-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by icondude
Standalong converters are expensive!

Even though you're suspended, I have to agree. They're for when you've already poured too much money into a player to replace it. In other words, a last ditch effort. A player that converts anamorphic is much better.