Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Buying a display model rptv?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the option of buying either a Panasonic pt47wx51 47" rptv for $1500 with a 5 year warranty included or a Sony 32" direct view for the same price but without a warranty. I know most people say not to buy a display rptv but shouldn't the warranty cover any problems that might pop up? There's no burn in, the set has been on display for two months at Tweeter (the brightness/contrast have been at least semi calibrated - they weren't in torch mode) and it's in good physical shape. $1500 is basically my limit, I might be able to swing the extra $200 for the warranty on the Sony but that's pushing it - plus I don't even know if I want to get the Sony knowing that other, much bigger sets are just barely out of my price range. I'd appreciate any input, I really think the warranty cuts down on any risks associated with a display model but I want to be sure.
Old 09-22-02, 07:05 PM

The old WX49 and WX51 are not as good as this year's models. This year they really improved on the line doubler, and the calibration is much better straight from the factory. You may want to hold off.

Another thing, the WX4_ series does not have the quality-REDUCING screen protector that the WX5_ series does. I personally would pay more to not have the screen protector.

Panny PT47-WX42 47" Current model for $1248 plus shipping

Panny PT53-WX42 53" Current model for $1347.84 plus shipping

Just fyi.
Old 09-23-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off you are not getting any kind of deal at $1500 for a floor demo model of that model! I would be insulted for them trying to make you such a rotten offer!

Secondly, NO warranty will cover wear and tear on the CRT's so they can offer you a 100 year warranty and when the CRT's prematurely wear out you are OUT OF LUCK! I would NOT believe them when they say the HDTV was displayed only two months (who know how long it has been on display) and the 16 hours or so a day of straight playing has put a huge dent in the life of the CRT's. Yes, they may look fine now but instead of getting 8-10 years of high quality viewing you now have maybe 1 or 2 years left.
Old 09-23-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help. I found out I can order this years model from one call for $1530 delivered and throw in a two year warranty for another $100, I think I'll go for that instead.
Old 09-23-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Floor model TV = Just Say No!

Onecall =
Old 09-23-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I got Circuit City to price match Onecall so I'll be getting the 47wx42 delivered here tomorrow. The total delivered cost was $1650 with the 3 year service plan, it's a little more than I wanted to spend but I think the extra $150 is definitely worth it. I would have gone through onecall but I would have needed the extra $120 (or possibly more) white glove delivery service, I live on the third floor and I don't want to take the chance of lugging this thing up with a few friends.

I tried to price match at Tweeter but they wouldn't budge on the price of the new model. I even told him that "Frank says I should be insulted that you offered me that price for the floor model" but it didn't help.
Old 09-23-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There ya go Icculus!! Give em HELL! And if they don't want to deal with you do what you did and move on to someone who does want to deal.
Old 09-24-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Enjoy your 47" Panny! Mine has been shining for a little over a year now.