DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

help out a poor student!

Old 09-11-02, 11:58 AM

help out a poor student!

Hello, I don't have much money, yet I want to be able to play some sort of dolby digitial/dts surround sound in my room. I have a samsung dvd player (with optical and ocaxial inputs.. what are these fopr?) and a JVC tv. I want to buy a DTS/DD receiver/speaker set combination for around 400 or less. I also want the set to include a subwoofer. Soooo, does anyone have reccomendations for me? I see that frys has a sony speaker/onkyo receiver set this week for 400, but I figure that I should wait a while till I have more money saved. So, could someone help me out with some ideas and or names of good products.

thanks!
Old 09-15-02, 03:13 AM

Please stop soliciting.
-stevevt

Last edited by stevevt; 09-15-02 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-16-02, 10:17 AM

nice! 129 views and no helpful replies. Sheesh! Guess I'll just have to go at it on my own.
Old 09-17-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mikey
nice! 129 views and no helpful replies. Sheesh! Guess I'll just have to go at it on my own.
Sorry you feel slighted.

With all due respect at that price point go down to the local box warehouse and buy whatever is advertised.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 09-17-02 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 10:48 AM
Banned

At that price, your best bet would be to go with the Onkyo box:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=minisys&p=i

I forget how much it runs, but it isn't too far from your budget and can be purchased at CircuitCity or any Onkyo retailer. Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just recently got the Onkyo box. Forget how much I paid for it... around $500ish I think. I am very happy with it.

One thing you mention though, you mention it is for your "room". I live in a house, and when I have this on at a moderate volume level (to where low noises are audible), I can hear the loud/bassy sounds pretty well about 2 houses down. This unit does have a "Late Night" filter that evens things out a bit, but if you don't live in a house, I could see neighbors becoming quite upset.
Old 09-18-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well if you're not too picky go for referbished ones. they seem to be at a reasonable cost.