DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV Receiver Question

Old 09-04-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DirecTV Receiver Question

This fall, I'll be moving into a condo for 6 months while I attend school and there will is a DirecTV satellite there. It's one of those satellites with 2 separate feeds (or whatever you call them). One of them is used in the downstairs living room for everyone in the condo, and the other one isn't being utilized at all. The renter said that if I wanted it in my room, I'd just have to get a DirecTV receiver and I'd be good to go.

Question is: Can I rent one of these, or how much would one set me back? Optimally, I'd like one really cheap with TiVo capabilities, but I have a VCR, so it's not a necessity. I only need it for 6 months, and I don't have DirecTV at home now, so it'd be pointless pretty much after the 6 months.

THANKS!
Old 09-04-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Without being able to take advantage of the new subscriber deals, you'd probably be able to pick one up for 50, 60 bucks.
Old 09-04-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, $50 or $60 is much cheaper than I expected - not too bad for 6 months of use.
Old 09-04-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know of anyplace you could rent one. $50-$60 probably won't get you a used TiVo unit. You might check e-bay.