Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

No A/V inputs, what do I do?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to set up my TV (with a DVD player and VCR), but I have no A/V inputs on the TV, just a coaxial one. I suppose I could link the DVD player through the VCR (this may be a pain in the ass, also, would it sacrifice picture quality?) Also, can I hook up some kind of a converter (coaxial to A/V) and if I can, how much are they, where can I get them, and will they sacrifice quality also?

Basically, I just want to know the best way to work out this problem.

Thanks a lot,

Dan
Old 08-25-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hooking the DVD player up through the VCR probably won't work. It'll trigger the Macrovision copy protection.

You'll need to get an RF modulator from Radio Shack or Wal-Mart. It should cost you about $30.
Old 08-25-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Using an RF modulator is the only real option you have (barring replacing the TV).
You will lose some picture quality, but it's still going to be better than VHS.

I used a modulator for about 2 years, and it worked just fine. When I moved, though, I decided to upgrade the TV.
Old 08-26-02, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Hooking the DVD player up through the VCR probably won't work. It'll trigger the Macrovision copy protection.

You'll need to get an RF modulator from Radio Shack or Wal-Mart. It should cost you about $30.
The macrovision only degrades the picture when you try to record it on a VCR. I just hooked up a friend's DVD with the exact same setup. It worked fine. Buying an RF will allow you the convenience of not turning the VCR on and setting it to "Input" or "AV" when you want to watch a DVD. It will not get you a better picture. The VCR will use an RF mod to do the same thing and you already own that one.
Old 08-26-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bhamon

The macrovision only degrades the picture when you try to record it on a VCR. I just hooked up a friend's DVD with the exact same setup. It worked fine. Buying an RF will allow you the convenience of not turning the VCR on and setting it to "Input" or "AV" when you want to watch a DVD. It will not get you a better picture. The VCR will use an RF mod to do the same thing and you already own that one.
that's not true. I've done this type of setup at least twice now. Depending on your VCR, DVD player, and the movie, the macrovision will kick in and you will have poor results while watching the movie. This will be evident by the fact that the picture is constantly changing brightness levels.

Try your hookup first on a few dvds, if the macrovision is on then buy the RF modulator.
Old 08-26-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
My parents have a RF modulator for their DVD player and it works fine, the picture looks pretty good, sound is in mono but they can live with it.
Old 08-26-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
There are stereo RF modulators now. Also, I'd recommend against one that auto-switched between cable TV and DVD. My first one like that used to flake out midmovie. I have one now that you manually switch, and not a problem.
Old 08-26-02, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

why would you route the audio through to the TV? (I guess if you have no stereo/HT) Otherwise, just send the audio signal to your receiver. (Send video only to the TV)
Old 08-26-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The modulator I got my parents IS a stereo modulator but I checked the sound mode on the TV and it said MONO. But it still sounds ok, decent.

Definitely route the audio to the receiver if ya got one.
Old 08-26-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bhamon
The macrovision only degrades the picture when you try to record it on a VCR.
Everyone I know who has tried to connect a DVD player through a VCR has had Macrovision problems, whether they were trying to record or not. This includes two Sony VCRs, Panasonic, RCA and a Magnavox.