Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I want opinion on 48" JVC

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-02, 02:02 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys I am thinking about buying this 48" widescreen tv model av-48wp30

Was just wondering if any one has heard anyhting good or bad about.

It says it has dual auto sensing componenet video inputs ( I am confused is this progressive scan, or does this tv not support progressive scan dvd players.

Plus itsays that it upconvert all sources to 1080i, is this even possible, that would mean all dvd's and cable, satellitle(sp?) would be in 1080i

here is the link

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L026922&page=3
Old 08-10-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would think any HDTV-ready television would be compatible with a progressive scan dvd player.....

I would recommend the 51" Sony Widescreen.....Call your local Circuit City and see if they have this listed on sale for $2036.00. My local CC in Cincinnati does have this listed for this price. If you want to purchase this at BB, have BB price match it. BB has 18 months same as cash this weekend along with 10% off if you received the preferred customer coupon. Cannot beat that deal for the Sony....
Old 08-10-02, 04:54 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Thanks djones6746, Yeah I actually wanted the Sony one, but due to limit in space in my room, is the reason I want the jvc. With this one it is still 6" to big, and I am putting in my bedroom, and it will be in the way of my closet door by 6" so I will have to squeeze into my closet to get clothes(even though when I get the tv I am not leaving the house) so I don't want to go any bigger than the jvc.

Yeah that is what I thought any hdtv player would have prog. scan inputs, but I was just reading Sound and Vision magazine, and they review a hdtv with no 3:2 pulldown or prog. scan input, so I don't want that to happen to me
Old 08-10-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was very excited to see the JVC......if the quality is as good as their tube televsions then I believe they will rival Sony. IMO

I will look around and see if I can find something on it...I believe it is too new to have any write ups on.

Do you have a BB or CC near your house? Why don't you go up and ask them to hook up one of their progressive scan players to the floor model??
Old 08-10-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
Thanks djones6746, Yeah I actually wanted the Sony one, but due to limit in space in my room, is the reason I want the jvc. With this one it is still 6" to big, and I am putting in my bedroom, and it will be in the way of my closet door by 6" so I will have to squeeze into my closet to get clothes(even though when I get the tv I am not leaving the house) so I don't want to go any bigger than the jvc.

Yeah that is what I thought any hdtv player would have prog. scan inputs, but I was just reading Sound and Vision magazine, and they review a hdtv with no 3:2 pulldown or prog. scan input, so I don't want that to happen to me

Here is the description on their website....looks like the 3:2 pulldown is there....

"On look at JVC's I'Art PRO 48" D.I.S.T 1080i Digital HDTV Monitor is all it will take to launch you into the Digital Realm. The I'Art PRO package takes into consideration every feature the demanding digital customer is looking for now and for the future, and it delivers. With Features like Digital Image Scaling Technology where all sources are up converted to 1080i, DVI/HDCP Digital Interface, Natural Cinema (3-2 Pull Down, Dual Auto-Sensing Component Video Inputs and Digital Super Detail, all housed in a sleek contemporary cabnet, how could you resist?"

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L026922&page=3

Go up and take a look at it!!! Looks promising!!!
Old 08-11-02, 12:44 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Yeah I have a BB and a Circuit City, where I live there is about 15 stores for my to dvd players and dvd's etc. they are building new stores it seems like every day, yeah I went to Best Buy and checked it out, the tv looks great, but of course when I tried to get someone to hook up a player to see how good it performs, there were no employees around(it seem like I was the only person in the whole store) so I got pissed and left.

The other thimg Iwonder about the Jvc is it ssays it can upconvert all sources to 1080i, they can't be true, because that would defeat the propose of wanting HD-DVD.
Old 08-11-02, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury

The other thimg Iwonder about the Jvc is it ssays it can upconvert all sources to 1080i, they can't be true, because that would defeat the propose of wanting HD-DVD.
Why would upconversion defeat the purpose of HD-DVD?
Old 08-11-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A HDTV could upconvert my SLP speed VHS tapes to 1080i, it doesn't mean the picture quality will be equal to a D-VHS tape.
Old 08-11-02, 07:23 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Yeah that is what I was aksing, I don't understand what that means to upconvert the image to 1080i, I thought then it would look like Hi Def
Old 08-11-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JVC sets are not unique in upconverting non-HD signals to HD resolutions. I know that some sets from Toshiba and Sharp (probably many other brands too) also do this. Imagine this:

You are viewing a video file on your computer. It takes up only a small portion of your screen (say 320x240). You decide to view the video in full screen mode. Now your computer upconverts the video to say 1024x768. Often (because the video quality is usually poor to minimize file size) the video will look pretty bad is this mode. The HDTV will do roughly the same thing except hopefully using better techniques, and only the resolution not the picture size will change.

The bottom line is that you are always limited by the video quality of the incoming signal. No amount of processing can magically turn it into HDTV quality. Upconversion is nice to have, but don't expect too much. HDTV signals are going to look the best, followed by DVD. By the time you get to inputs like analog cable and VHS tapes, the extra size and resolution of the HDTV will highlight every shortcoming of the incoming video signal.