Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Problem with my TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my TV

Yeah, I know its not a HT TV, but I still need some guidance. I have a 25" RCA TV that I use in my bedroom. Its 7 years old and usually works fine, but now I am having a problem. The problem lies in where the cable gets hooked up to the TV. Very often, the TV gets staticy,and only fixes itself when I mess around with the cable wire. But minutes later its back not working again. I have changed the wire 3x so I know its not the wire and is its probably where the cable wire gets hooked into the TV. I dont wanna pay to have this fixed as I can get a new TV for cheaper probably.

Any suggestions? I only have 1 Video Input. Plus I have a TIVO and DVD player hooked up. Can I use the Video Input for my cable? What do I do with the TIVO and DVD then?

Help me!

THANKS!
Old 08-09-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YOu could try opening the TV yourself and fixing it... Maybe the wire is loose inside. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL!

Put a vcr in your room and run the COAX to the VCR and use the RCA wires out of the VCR into a RCA A/B switch. I am sure they make a A/B switch for RCA wires...

How is your TIVO hooked up to the TV? Through the RCA or the COAX?
Old 08-10-02, 01:53 PM
Banned

I cant have tivo and a dvd and a vcr! what else guys?
Old 08-10-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lemme get this straight. You are having a problem with the coax input, right? I'm assuming you have some sort of cable TV line from outside; why not plug that into the Tivo and then use the Tivo to ouput an Svideo or rca line to your TV. I'm also assuming your TV has

Few assumptions I'm making:
The problem you are having is with the coaxial input on your TV from where you plug in your line (from the Tivo or regular cable).

Your TV has an alternate input (either svideo or yellow rca jack)

If the above is correct, why not plug your regular cable line into your Tivo, then use the svideo-out/rca-out from your Tivo to go into your svideo-in/rca-in of your TV.

Also if you want to hook up your DVD player and vcr as well, buy a 3-way selector from radio shack or bestbuy. It's a box into which you'll plug in your Tivo line, your dvdplayer line, and your vcr line; and which allows you to 'toggle' between signals. The box itself plugs into the alternate svideo-in/rca-in in your tv.

Of course if you do not have that alternate video input on your TV, you're pretty much SOL.
Old 08-21-02, 03:57 PM
Banned

My TV has one RCA input (yellow/red/white)... can i do what you said?
Old 08-21-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jonny#5
My TV has one RCA input (yellow/red/white)... can i do what you said?
No coax?

And is it just the coax connection or the RCA connection or both with the problem?

How many video inputs does your VCR have?

Do you have analog cable (no box needed), analog cable (cable box required), or digital cable?

BTW, I have a TiVo/DVD/VCR/cable box/Playstation setup that works fine.