Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Portable DVD Player comments???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I am looking at some portable DVD players. Thought some of you can offer some tips or recs. Here is what I am looking for:

reasonable price - $500-$600
extended battery - at least 4 hrs pref 8
car friendly - plug into cig lighter - mounting option
big screen as possible
best video/audio possible
use as dvd player for my bedroom - hook up to tv
travel friendly - lightweight/case

I was checking out Panasonic ldvd-LV60 - good reviews on Cnet

Anyone care to chime in? Thanks!!!!
Old 08-05-02, 09:08 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to buy a second battery for most units to get that much battery life. And the cigarette adapters are usually sold seprately too. Both of these will add considerably to the price, so keep that in mind when you're shopping.

My local Circuit City's been displaying low to mid range portables lately. First they had an Apex player, and now they have a Panasonic L50 which I haven't really looked at yet. If you have one nearby, you might want to go down to get some hands on experience with one.

-David
Old 08-06-02, 02:24 AM
Li

Okay, here are my suggestions:

The LV70 is probably your best buy. It has a 7" screen and a 5 hour battery. An extra 5-8 hour battery will cost you about $100 online. I've read many good reviews about this player. $560 at http://www.ecost.com. It doesn't look like they have any right now but they get frequent shipments.

Or...

The LV60. A very good unit. I've had experience with this one myself. Good picture but a smaller size at only 5.8". I've heard the battery last anywhere from 3-5 hours (different people say different things. Panasonic's website says 3 hour but I'm sure when I used it it lasted longer than that). An extra battery online can be found for about $60-70. The player will cost you about $500 online.

Or...

The Toshiba SD-P1500. An 8" screen. My current portable player. Very nice picture. Great unit overall, though the volume doesn't get very loud. A $20 volume booster would fix that, I'm sure. Also, it has only a 3 hour battery. An extra 5 hour battery would set you back around $200. The player is $608 (including shipping) at http://www.hypeaudio.com/.

None come with a cigarette lighter adapter. Those can be a little expensive by themselves, too.

Overall, I'd say the LV70 gives you the best screen size to battery life ratio for the best price.

If you’re planning to use the player on car trips and could use a cigarette lighter adapter for extra playtime, then I’d go with the 8” Toshiba.

It all really depends on which features are most important to you.

Hope I’ve help a little!

Last edited by Li; 08-06-02 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-07-02, 02:45 PM

Thanks! It sounds like the LV-70 may be the one. A 5 hour battery is pretty good with the option of the extra one. With two charged 5 hr batteries there would be no need to have a cig lighter power cord. Questions - I assume that if I used it as a dvd player at home there is a plug that goes into the wall? Also how long does it take to charge these bad boys up? Thanks again!!!
Old 08-07-02, 04:08 PM
Li

Yeah, portable players always come with an AC adaptor that attaches to the back. The lv70 has a built-in battery charger, so all you have to do is plug the player into the wall when it isn't running and it'll charge. With a 5 hour battery, from personal experience, I wouldn't think it would take more than 5-6 hours to charge. Overnight would be more than enough time.

Last edited by Li; 08-07-02 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-08-02, 12:21 AM

I have the Toshiba SD-P2000, and I picked up a car adaptor at Radio Shack for around $20.00. I took the player in and they matched it up with the appropriate adaptor. Works great!
Old 08-09-02, 12:03 PM

Li

I am zeroing in on the LV70 - it is much more screen and battery life for only $60 more than the LV60. Only question - a lot of people on Cnet complained about a jagged screen and sub par speakers without headphones - what are your thoughts to that?

I will also be using it as my bedroom player - is it a strong hook up player as well?

Thanks as always!!!
Old 08-09-02, 03:19 PM
Li

kiddnets,

No portable DVD player has speakers that can produce great sound. They're just too small. They're not horrible sounding, but using headphones is best.

I've heard nothing but overall good things about the LV70's picture quality.

You may have already read these, but just in case you haven't, here are a couple of reviews: http://www.ecoustics.com/s.php?search=lv70

Portables work great as main or secondary players. I use my Toshiba in my bedroom as well.
Old 08-14-02, 07:57 AM

I have the lv60 and I think the world of it
my battery life is arround 4 hours.
the sound I think is great.

Be warned all portable players reduce the size of the picture to make it look better so the pic you get will be a tad smaller than the screen size.

but still there is nouthing like watching a movie at work
or on a train or at the doctors office.

have fun with it
Old 08-14-02, 08:39 AM
Li

Originally posted by DebraGray
Be warned all portable players reduce the size of the picture to make it look better so the pic you get will be a tad smaller than the screen size.
Huh? Could you explain because I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this?