Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Tivo Series 2 Question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo Series 2 Question

Old 07-24-02, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tivo Series 2 Question

I am currently contemplating getting the Tivo Series 2. My roomates and I used to have a series 1 machine so I know exactly how it works and how terrible watching T.V. is without it.

My question is does anyone know when the Series 2 machine is going to be made by Sony, Phillips, etc.? Currently, the Series 2 is only made by Tivo itself but I've heard rumors about different companies branding the series 2 "later this year".

Right now Tivo's website is offering free shipping on the Series 2 units as well as a 90 free trial of the service. I don't know whether to jump on this offer or be suspicious that something better is coming soon.

Anybody heard anything?
Old 07-24-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would a Sony or Philips unit be better?

Anyway, the best way to keep up with TiVo is the follow the forums at www.tivocommunity.com
Old 07-24-02, 12:02 PM

Why would a Sony or Philips unit be better?
I'm not sure they would be. But it is possible they could have more features (i.e. 2 tuners so you could watch live t.v. while you record another channel). I know they've made satellite models in the past with 2 tuners but not for regular cable.
Old 07-24-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha

I'm not sure they would be. But it is possible they could have more features (i.e. 2 tuners so you could watch live t.v. while you record another channel). I know they've made satellite models in the past with 2 tuners but not for regular cable.
Very unlikely. 2 tuners isn't the problem. A standalone unit would also require two mpeg-encoders (very expensive, the DirecTiVo have none), so I doubt they will ever make a two tuner standalone unit.

I would buy the TiVo unit now, unless you are considering switching to sat.
Old 07-24-02, 12:34 PM

Do you have the series2 skar? If so, thoughts?
Old 07-24-02, 01:26 PM

I have the 2 tuner directv unit, and love it. I talked to the people at TIVO (they are a client of mine), and they tell me the TIVO unit is the same as the Philips unit. Same parts and everything. I dont know if this helps, but there you go.
Old 07-26-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
Do you have the series2 skar? If so, thoughts?
No, I don't. I have a Philips 20 hour and love it. I think a TiVo-branded unit would be great since TiVo customer service seems much better than Philips/Sony. Some of the people at www.tivocommunity.com own half a dozen TiVo's and could easily tell you the pros/cons of any model.
Old 07-29-02, 09:48 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a Series II unit branded by AT&T broadband that is also available on the TiVO website, where I got mine. It's a 40 hour machine instead of the 60 hour TiVO branded model, but it is cheaper by $100. And you do not have to have AT&T broadband.

If you really want a Series II machine, and are handy with computers, get the AT&T and you can always upgrade the drive.....