Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Playstation 2 w/GameShark 2 as Region Free DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried using the Playstation 2 with the GameShark 2 as a Region free DVD player? There's an option on the GamShark to select which region DVD to play. I'd like to hear from someone who has tried this and if they have, with which region DVDs, before I actually order some DVDs with other region codes. Thanks.
Old 07-23-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not done it, but I've heard it works fine. One thing to be aware of though: The PS2 does not and cannot do PAL/NTSC conversion. It wasn't designed to, so it doesn't have the hardware necessary. No amount of hacking will change that. So if you do the gameshark hack you can still only play NTSC discs unless you've got an external converter of some sort, or a TV that can play both PAL and NTSC. So, about all you can do is watch DVD's from other regions that are NTSC, which I believe is pretty much just Japan.
Old 07-23-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never noticed it, but the PS2 is not my main DVD player. I only use it occasionally for when I want to watch movies very quietly. (The sound is thru the TV, not the HT on it.)
Old 07-24-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
How do you get the Gameshark to change region code?
Old 07-25-02, 06:44 PM

I've never had any problems using my PS2 for a DVD player as far as damaging discs or anything, and I have been using it pretty much as my main player for around 7 months.

-Caps
Old 07-26-02, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

Gameshark versions 2.0+ have the region switch feature. It works well on NTSC discs if you don't mind swapping.

Disc scratching was generally only a problem for those who placed their PS2s vertically without the vertical stand.
Old 07-27-02, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by offline69
Disc scratching was generally only a problem for those who placed their PS2s vertically without the vertical stand.
I am curious why this would matter. Isnt it the same with or wihtout the stand?
Old 07-28-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MistisoMan

I am curious why this would matter. Isnt it the same with or wihtout the stand?
The stand keeps the PS2 in the exact same place, presumably on an even level. Without one, it's possibly for some slight angling, that while not causing it to tip over, would cause the disc to be angled enought to scratch against one side of the tray. That's what I'm guessing, anyways. That's why most shiny silver disc players are horizontal and not vertical, so I assume the same applies to the PS2.
Old 07-28-02, 10:58 AM
Banned

Hehhee, shiny silver disc players. Yeah I was thinking about the spinning of the discs causing the vertical to vibrate without the stand, and tried it out, it did make it a little scratched, good thing I have the stand.
Old 07-29-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MistisoMan
Hehhee, shiny silver disc players.
Is there a better name floating around? CD players, DVD players, game systems, MP3 players, VCD players, etc. they're all shiny silver disc players, as far as I'm concerned. It seems like they all play at least 2 versions of the shiny silver disc, not just one. I've given up hope trying to find a decent generic name, and so had to make up one that was descriptive
Old 07-30-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so the only dvd im interested in is the scream dc in r2 japan and maybe cowboy bebop if i can find it cheap over there.
Old 07-30-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
so the only dvd im interested in is the scream dc in r2 japan and maybe cowboy bebop if i can find it cheap over there.
Good luck. Cowboy Bebop dvds (even used ones) are more expensive in Japan than they are here.