Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sound out of synch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-02, 02:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound out of synch?

I bought a new DVD player and I noticed that periodically the sound will suddenly be slightly out of synch, people are talking and the sound doesn't match up with their lips. If I pause for a few seconds and then hit play, everything's fine for awhile. It's just ever so slight but very annoying.

So all you pros out there, is this a lemon and should I just replace it, or is it a symptom of a cheaper model player? Just wondering because I picture myself going back and forth to Circuit City 20 times replacing it out or something...
Old 07-08-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There have been problems with several players and a lip sync issue. Sony was a known problem with the 550 players.

What make and model?
Old 07-15-02, 01:40 PM
Cool New Member

It's a Magnavox. It also flashes up captions 3 or 4 times per movie. Only for like one sentence, randomly somewhere on the disk.
Old 07-15-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KathiMax
It's a Magnavox. It also flashes up captions 3 or 4 times per movie. Only for like one sentence, randomly somewhere on the disk.
This definitely sounds like a problem with the player.
Old 07-15-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto! You've got 2 probs with it, the sound sync and the subtitles appearing. I'd take it back, and if the 2nd does the same get a different brand.
Old 07-15-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
Ditto! You've got 2 probs with it, the sound sync and the subtitles appearing. I'd take it back, and if the 2nd does the same get a different brand.
You are much more forgiving than I am. I would not get the same model or even make for that matter.

Plenty of excellent choices from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC etc. for good prices.
Old 07-15-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
You are much more forgiving than I am. I would not get the same model or even make for that matter.

Plenty of excellent choices from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC etc. for good prices.
Not forgiving, just realistic. Bad units get shipped. If I boycotted a brand everytime I got a dud, there would be no manufacturers left to buy from. Nobody ships 100% perfect products.

One bad player is a statistic, two bad players is a trend.
Old 07-16-02, 11:04 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks, I've traded it for another one. We'll see how it goes. If it does the same thing, I'll definitely try another brand.
Old 07-31-02, 12:24 PM
Cool New Member

Well, the replacement one did the exact same thing with the voices, didn't even wait to find out about the captions, so I just returned the thing and bought a completely different brand.

So there's my experience with a Magnavox...
Old 07-31-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear this.

I have a suggestion, take that exact DVD and audition a new player just to make sure it is not the disc itself.
Old 08-01-02, 01:08 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a SONY a few years back that did the Lip Sync thing...apprarently, I was the first to report it to SONY so I was getting the whole "we're thinking its a DVD production industry thing, not the players themselves"....in any case, SONY finally admitted fault in their players and initially were replacing the units (paying for FedEx shipping both ways) and I got lucky as being the first few thousand people to benefit from it.

Since then I have purchased another SONY model (sold my original unit to a friend...lypsync fixed) and its worked well. I really do like SONY's DVD players (even if mine doesn't play CD-Rs).

I thought the lipsync thing was only a SONY thing....interesting to know that another Manufacturer had the issue.

I also agree with Renaldow that one experience with a manufacturer isn't the basis for boycotting (I'm glad that I stuck with the SONY).