Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about S-video and Composite Connections

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, this may be a really stupid question, but here goes:

I have a Dvd player with S-video, and composite video outputs, but my tv only has composite inputs. I'm planning on getting a Receiver which has both of these as inputs and outputs. Should I utilize S-video from my Dvd player to the receiver, and then Composite to the Tv, or just stick with Composite for both the connections? Is there a benefit of one over the other, since I'm going to have to have at least the one composite from the receiver to the tv?

Also, are receivers "smart" enough, that if I have multiple types of different inputs (s-video from my dvd player, composite from video game systems, etc) that the output can all be routed out through the single composite video output to my tv?

Basically, if I send signals to my receiver via multiple S-video and Composite Video cables, can it then output all those signals via Composite? (I'm assuming I won't have a problem, but better safe then sorry)

Thanks in Advance!
Old 07-06-02, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a dumb question at all. Unfortunately most manufacturers do not adequately explain what these connections are and why they are different except to indicate that they carry the video signal. The S in S-video stands for seperated. For this connection the color aspects of the picture have been seperated from the brightness (light to dark) aspects of the picture. This is done primarily to eliminate two anomolies: Bleed-over and dot-crawl.

Bleed over is very simply where one color bleeds over slightly onto another on the edge of the two colors. It's usually seen as a very minor halo effect if seen at all.

Dot-crawl is a very interesting little artifact where on a hard line between portions of the picture, it looks as if there is a small army of ants marching single-file along the line. If you have a composite connection currently you can see this exemplified on any static picture that has headers or boxes. On TV or satellite systems, information channels are good source for easily viewing this in action.

Improvements to overall picture quality other than these two things can be less than most think. Usually only about 5-15%. But the elimination of these two things can make noticeable improvements to image clarity and sharpness. This doesn't mean, however, that your picture quality is going to reek if you have a composite connection. The anomolies are not omni-present and most people don't notice them when they are there. I'm saying this to soften the blow. If you go to composite into your TV/monitor, you will lose the benefit of running S-video to the receiver if your receiver can switch this way.

Based on the above information, I would suggest using composite for the signal chain. You won't really be able to benefit from runnning the first half in S-video. I will strongly advise that you use a decent video cable though. Use cables that are 75ohm coax (you'll know because it is actually printed on the cable). The ones that are included with most equipment are the same in construction to the audio cable except with yellow cladding on the connectors and will not carry video as well as the 75ohm cabling does. If you do not have these they can be easily found. I believe even K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc... carries this type of cable.

Last edited by macsax; 07-06-02 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-06-02, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why switch at all? Why not just go directly into the tv? Anytime you add a switch to something you increase the amount of interference/jitter. Unless you have more components than you have inputs I would just go straight to the tv. If your tv has at least 2 inputs I would put the dvd player in directly and run anything else through the switch. If you only have the one input then I guess you are stuck but if you can avoid routing through the receiver do so.

You are always limited by the weakest link in the system so running s-video into one leg and composite from there is not going to improve your picture quality at all.
Old 07-07-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Question about S-video and Composite Connections

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Should I utilize S-video from my Dvd player to the receiver, and then Composite to the Tv, or just stick with Composite for both the connections?
I don't believe it is possible for the receiver to switch the signal from S-video to composite. If you input S-video into the receiver, you'd have to output it that way also.

Even if it did work, as said above there is no advantage to doing so. Stick with composite if that is all your TV offers.