Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Returning a VCR

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-02, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning a VCR

I need help, I bought a VCR online and am gonna return it to the store because it has macrovision and not compatable with my DVD Player. My only problem is that I threw away my box that came with it. But lucky for me Sears gave me a box for the exact same VCR. My only question is if the serial number is on the box to match the VCR or something else that might prevent a return. If so I just might as well keep it and give it away to family.
Old 07-01-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All modern VCR's with few exceptions use Macrovision, so I don't know what you're planning to get instead. But to answer your question, you might get lucky if the returns dept. there doesn't bother to check. They'll probably credit you on the spot, or not at all.
Old 07-02-02, 10:45 AM

so is the serial number somewhere on the box.
Old 07-02-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Returning a VCR

Originally posted by navajo
I need help, I bought a VCR online and am gonna return it to the store because it has macrovision and not compatable with my DVD Player. My only problem is that I threw away my box that came with it. But lucky for me Sears gave me a box for the exact same VCR. My only question is if the serial number is on the box to match the VCR or something else that might prevent a return. If so I just might as well keep it and give it away to family.
all vcr's will do this if you run the dvd player thru the vcr and then to the Tv.

does your tv have more than one input?

if so use one for the dvd player and one for the vcr.

does your tv have an svideo input if so use the svideo input for the dvd player and then the composite inputs(rca cables) for the vcr.

where you going to tape the dvd's using the vcr?

I am not aware of a dvd player that will let you do this.
Old 07-02-02, 12:36 PM

No, I just wanted to connect my DVD player through my VCR so I would not have to buy an RF module. My brother has his set up in which the DVD player goes throught the VCR. I think it is a Magnavox. I don't plan on taping DVDs because it is illegal, and not close to the quality. I was still wondering about whether returning the VCR in a different box is okay and will they refund me without a hassle.
Old 07-02-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How old is his VCR? Like someone said all new VCR's have macrovision.
Old 07-02-02, 02:36 PM

We bought it in 2000.
Old 07-02-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What kind of DVD player?

Certain Apex models can be hacked to be macrovision free, BTW, not that I'm encouraging anyone to do that...

I don't think we know the answer to your return question. However, since all new VCRs will trigger Macrovision, we're a little curious about that, I'm sure.
Old 07-02-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the box may or may not have the serial number
just see if any number on the box matches the numbers on the back of the vcr
as for the store, they may or may not care, after all they don't know for sure that the factory didn't screw up
Old 07-02-02, 05:37 PM

thank you for answering my question. Now i feel secure enough to send it back.

As for the DVD player I think it was an APEX, the really cheap one at Walmart. Both the VCR and DVD player were bought at the day after thanksgiving sales.
Old 07-02-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, there you go... It's the Apex player I suppose... He didn't hack it in any way?
Old 07-03-02, 10:56 AM

nope, bought it off the self.
Old 07-03-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel like we are flogging a dead horse here, but bear with me. An APEX DVD player bought in 2000 could easily have the macrovision disabled once and for all through pushing certain remote control buttons in the right sequence. That's why running it through the VCR works for your brother.

I predict that you will not be successful with any VCR you use to daisy chain your DVD player through to the TV, and if that's the only reason you want to return this VCR, you will eventually find out that all VCRs will produce the same result, but only after a lot of frustration. The other people on this board are trying to save you the trouble. You would be wise to listen to them, rather than dwell on whether the store will take it back or not. Sorry if this sounds condescending. It just seemed that none of the one-sentence replies were really making this clear.
Old 07-08-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanted to tack on that although all new VCRs have macrovision, on many (some?) it is only activated if you kick into "record."

I've used several panasonic and RCA models without a problem and even a Samsung. But even if you do find a vcr that will let you slide (more on that below), you still run the risk of having quite an unattractive picture with lots of moire. VCRs aren't necessarly designed to carry an input of higher quality than it's own.

As for where to find a vcr for this purpose, may I suggest Walmart? You will very rarely find the exact same model of any A/V equipment at a Walmart or BJs or Costco as you would at Best Buy, Sears, or Tweeter. Often, you can't even find reference to these "alternate" models on the manufacturers websites. Anyway, they are usually toned down and aimed at a different type of market and consumer. As a result, they are usually more forgiving when it comes to allowing people to daisy-chain vcrs and dvds and playstations. If you absolutely have to go through a vcr, then that's where you want to start looking. Unfortunately, it will still be a matter of trial and error. May I recommend this fabulous product instead? I've been using two of them for over a year and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by BigPete; 07-08-02 at 11:26 PM.