Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Yamakawa , anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-02, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamakawa , anyone ?

Does anyone know abt Yamakawa dvd players and esp. model 218S ?
I went to their site http://www.yamakawausa.com , though the name sounds Japanese, it seems like this brand sells more in Germany and Europe.
Any experiences apprciated,
Swapnil
Old 01-24-03, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
218 model is cheap and good

I just went to Fry's in California and bought a Yamakawa 218 on sale for $53.00. Can't beat the price/performance ratio. I applied the region-free code with the remote, but I haven't had a chance to get any foreign DVD's yet to try it out. Someone I know recommended it and he says he's had no problems with international discs. Otherwise, it works fine. Plays MP3s and CDRs without any problems so far. Picture is sharp and subtitles are smooth and anti-aliased.

This machine also claims to be able to play PAL discs and has an autoswitching power supply that is rated from between 90-240 Volts. It has a built in Dolby 5.1 decoder as well.

I don't have a digital audio setup so I can't test the coax output but I'm glad it's there when I do upgrade to a nice system.

I've heard of overheating issues but mine played for 3 hours with only slight warming.

Overall, it's an excellent starter system for those who don't need esoteric outputs or progressive scan. There is no front display screen, so you have to do everything with on-screen menus. If it beaks, you can buy 4 for the price of one equivelant name brand setup with a region free hack.

PROs: totally region free, with code hack
Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder
SVHS output
Very decent picture
Dirt cheap
PAL/NTSC (though I haven't tried PAL yet, going to borrow a French DVD soon)
International power supply
Oh, did I say, CHEAP!

CONS: well, it certainly looks cheap. If you want to show off your equipment rack, this ain't it.
No front display.
No frame by frame.
No progressive scan.
No name-brand (for those who care)

Jee H. Lee
Old 01-25-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
A Yamawhata? I never heard of these guys until a a few weeks ago. I was typing in Yamaha, and got this brand too after a few searches.

At first, I was imagining a cassette deck with miniature motorcycle motors.