Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Stand-alone DD/DTS decoders?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who the heck makes these?

I just want a simple DD/DTS decoder.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-02, 04:23 PM

As I have learned they are getting harder to find.

Your best bet is to try and find a DVD player that has it built in. Sony has even stopped making those. Your best bet is to try and find a SONY DVP-NS400D. This model was discontinued in May. But there are still some on-line places that carry them.
Old 06-25-02, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the advice but I am specifically looking for a DD/DTS decoder only. I already have a high-end Denon that does all the decoding and everything for me but there are some specific things I want to do with my HT now, particularly DSP off the decoded analogue surround signal. I could do it with my receiver but it would be a pain and a complicated signal path. Thanks though.
Old 06-25-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know about Dolby, but this is the best stand-alone dts decoder I am aware of.
Good luck.
Old 06-26-02, 12:54 AM

One of the best in the business is Lexicon. They sit at the high end of the spectrum and are priced accordingly though. Take a look at their website: www.lexicon.com in the consumer products section. Their decoders are stand-alone component level products, have had a very good reputation and are very comprehensive. If you do some searching you should be able to find closeouts and used stuff but ultimately it depends on your budget.

Last edited by macsax; 06-26-02 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-26-02, 01:57 AM

Sorry for the add-on but I wanted to do some checking before mentioning more. Denon has the AVP-800DTS but this is up there in price as well. Look at some of the Rotel stuff - the RTC965 has been discontinued and can probably be found on closeout or used for a fair price. The new piece : RSP-1066 lists at just over $1000 so again budget comes into play.

Also check out Adcom and Parasound.

Of all of these, the Adcom and Rotel are probably going to be the least expensive.

Hope it helps,
Shawn
Old 06-26-02, 08:34 AM

Thanks Shawn...I actually have checked out a lot of the ones you mentioned so I think I have narrowed it down. Probably going with something from Lexicon...I have been using their pro-sound equipment for years and years now but forgot they sell HT stuff. Thanks!
Old 06-26-02, 09:37 PM

Go to www.midiland.com. They have the ADS 4000 which is a DD/DTS decoder for $130 plus shipping. I don't have one so I don't know about the quality of it.
Old 06-27-02, 12:05 AM

Glad I could help. I know the name mostly from the pro end as well, but I remember the big splash they made in the consumer industry when they started making serious processors for HT in the '80s. Color me green with envy if you get one.

-Shawn
Old 06-27-02, 11:35 AM

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/038/038313p1.html

This is the unit I own. I bought it at best buy a few years ago. When I bought my first receiver it didn't have dolby digital decoding but it was 5.1 ready so I had to spend alot more money on this thing. Nice thing was it also did DTS so I have been able to use both formats the whole time. Most people are getting away from the stand alone decoders though. I got it on closeout at least 3 years ago, might have been 4, I cant remember. They have not had anything else like it since.

-K
Old 06-27-02, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the responses!
Old 06-27-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry if I'm a little late to the game, but the manufacturers of the Millenium unit are blowing them out here.

As mentioned above, this decoder has gotten nothing but raves. Once they dropped to $200, I had no more excuses to stay with my DD5.1-only setup.