Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need your comments....

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need your comments....

Old 06-18-02, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your comments....

Can someone comment on this HTB....im new to this and would like someones opinion.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,32427,00.html

Its on sale for 299$

thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-02, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most people won't have very many nice things to say about any HTiB since they are always inferior to putting your own system together. However a friend of mine who has a very expensive home theater got the Pioneer HTD-510DV for a secondary room and said he was blown away. Odviously it didn't sound anywhere near as good as his main set up but he couldn't believe what it could do for how little it cost him. He said the bass was impressive for the price he paid.

what your going to notice lacking in a HTiB is usally highs are not as brilliant as they should be. Also that center channel looks a little too small... your center channel is the most important for 5.1 so its not a good idea to have your center the same size or smaller than the rest of the speakers...

as far as bass I think you will get more than you should expect from a system that inexpensive.

If you don't care to dive into the home theater world HTiB maybe the right option but for the most part you pay alot for very little. If you want to start small and build up, I would recommend you take these steps.

Start with a good subwoofer, most tvs have audio outs that you can plug into a sub... its unbelieveable how much better movies sound even if your just using your tv speakers and a sub.

Then when you get more money buy a good reciever and some front speakers, then you can watch in 2.1 and you will already notice the major improvements.

Then once you have enough get the center and surrounds for the full setup.

In the long run doing something like that is cheaper than upgrading from HTiB to HTiB, But really you should try to go hear what you buy before you buy it, and if you think you will be happy with the HTiB more power to you.
Old 06-18-02, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

The main plus for this system is that the Receiver is straight from the Pioneer receiver line up.

All other companies make a special cost reduced receiver for their HTIB systems. The up side is this is a great receiver for upgrading the speakers later. Also listen to this system compared to some others (its at Circuit City) it is pretty good. And the sats have a pivoting mounting bracket / center channel stand which none of the competition have.

I must say I am a bit biased on this issue
Old 06-18-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO, for the money I think the name brand HTIB's are a good value for someone looking for an al in one solution.

So long as you understand that it will not perform like more expensive components and there may be some upgrade issues, these are fine.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-02, 03:08 PM

thanks for replying...

btw, this set-up will be for my bedroom.
Old 06-18-02, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Go for it!