Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is 6.1 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-02, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 6.1 worth it?

In order to get 6.1 sound going, I'd have to upgrade my receiver and purchase a single center channel for the rear channel (I think it uses a single rear center, is that right?).

Is it really a noticable difference for films like Galdiator, The Phantom Menace, The Perfect Storm, etc? Worth the cost of upgrading?

Thanks!

Edit: Just to be clear, I do already have 5.1
Old 06-16-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm upgrading my receiver to an Onkyo TX-SR600 and it supports 6.1. It's not the main reason I got it, but I think I might connect a center rear just to see how it does. If I like it, then I'll go out and buy a rear center.

Would I actually need a center channel speaker though?
Old 06-16-02, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by BigDave

Would I actually need a center channel speaker though?
I don't know the requirements of a 6.1 system but I would think that if that channel is a single speaker, any speaker would do. It would probably just look funny.
Old 06-17-02, 12:12 AM

It really depends on your individual tastes, as well as the setup of your room. Gladiator is a great one to listen to 6.1 on.

6.1 (and 7.1) do provide for a more full sound stage. Some people call it better imaging. 7.1 is generally prefered over 6.1 because it makes that rear soundstage more difuse, which it should be.
Old 06-17-02, 01:26 AM

Ok, answer me this.

If I went all out and got a 7.1 system going, what happens when playing a 5.1 and 6.1 DVD? Does the rear channel in a 5.1 soundtrack come out the side speakers or the rear? With 6.1 would the rear center speaker simply be played on both rear speakers in mono?
Old 06-17-02, 02:24 AM

The only true discrete 6.1 right now is DTS-ES. There is currently no discrete 7.1. The advantage of 7.1 is simply the more diffuse rear sound.
Old 06-17-02, 09:32 AM
Banned

I own a: Denon AVR-3801 receiver which is 6.1 & 7.1 compatible, and my opinion is I think is well worth the purchase. playing DVDs with 6.1 encoded makes the listening soundfield more 360 degree imaging with the rear center channel.
I have a pair of rear centers, instead of one for a even more diffuse experience. listening to: The Haunting (DTS- ES) sounds incredible, and the same for: Gladiator (DTS- ES.)
Old 06-18-02, 12:21 AM

A pair of rear centers? Wouldn't it make more sense to use bookshelf speakers or am I just misunderstanding you? Center speakers are a pain to wall mount.

I've already got a pair of Polk Audio f/x300i's that I currently use in bi-pole mode in the rear channel of my 5.1 system. I hear they're even better when used as side channels in di-pole mode...

I need a raise.
Old 06-18-02, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TPM is 6.1?
Old 06-18-02, 08:15 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dammit
[B]A pair of rear centers? Wouldn't it make more sense to use bookshelf speakers or am I just misunderstanding you? Center speakers are a pain to wall mount.

It's a slight misunderstanding on your behalf, but i am going to clarify it for you more destinctively. what i meant was, i use another pair of surround speakers specifically for the surround back channel, which are: Boston Acoustics. sorry for the misread.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 06-20-02 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-18-02, 08:25 AM
CAP
Cool New Member

No, TPM is not true 6.1 but it is dolby digital EX. It is 6.1 matrix. This means that you can listen to the disc on a 5.1 system without missing anything, but when a rear surround speaker or speakers is detected, the sound that is encoded on the disc for these speakers is used properly. An example of true 6.1 would be the dts ES 6.1 discrete track from Gladiator. An absolutely awesome listening experience. I recently upgraded my receiver and added two rear center speakers to my Atlantic Technology system. I was concerned at first about the difference, would it be worth it? But after setting it up and hearing it for myself I can tell you that it is absolutely well worth it. If you have the money and the area to set it up, do it.
Old 06-22-02, 12:47 PM

This guy has been doing a good job of posting all the latest EX, ES titles available.HERE

(hope posting this link doesn't piss anyone off btw, if so, my apologies)

Alfer
Old 06-22-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX which does EX/ES decoding and have been very happy with the performance. I use two speakers for my center surround channel, because I found one provided a bit too much localization for my tastes.

On the whole, I would say EX/ES worth it if you have a larger size room, but not a must have if you have a smaller listening area.

For those looking to upgrade, I noticed Ubid has the Parasound CSE6.1 up for bid quite a bit lately going for about a hundred bucks or so. This decoder derives the center surround channel from your left and right pre-amp outs if your receiver has them (it may do line level as well but I can't recall). Using this would require adding extra amplfication for the center surrounds (and rear surrounds if your receiver does not have a loop back input). It is a good alternative for those looking to try 6.1 but not get rid of a perfectly fine DD/DTS receiver or processor.

J
Old 07-07-02, 11:12 AM

How far back are you putting the rear surround speakers behind the listening area? Do they need to be the same distance from the listener as the regular surround speakers?
Old 07-11-02, 04:07 PM

I love 6.1 or 7.1, and I use Infinity QPS1 Quarapoles for the rears and man do they sound great! Rear speakers are about 5 feet away and about 2.5 ft above ear level.
Old 07-12-02, 08:34 AM

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm going out on the limb and just say to stay away from Di/Bi poles of any kind on most setups... Stick to direct radiators, and if you can, use the same speaker for all channels (obviously excluding the LFE). This will work best for multi-channel music playback also.

If you are interested in adding an aftermarket 6.1 matrix setup then think about the Parasound CSE 6.1.