Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help setting up Dolby Digital

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-31-02, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been having trouble setting up the Dolby Digital with my DVD player. My Xbox uses Dolby Digital but I can't my DVD player to utilize it. I have the fiber optic cable hooked up. But it keeps playing in Pro logic. I have the settings on the DVD player on Dolby Digital. But won't support it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You probably need a reciever.
Old 05-31-02, 09:09 AM

I have a receiver thats where the fiber optic cable plugs in. The one from my Xbox is plugged into the other optical in.
Old 05-31-02, 09:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Hardware.
Old 05-31-02, 09:11 AM

Do you have your receiver set for DD on the input channel that the DVD player is connected to? On my Sony, I leave the setting on "Auto Format Decode", and the receiver automatically discerns what type of audio signal is coming through.

Also, be sure that when playing a DVD, you select the audio options within the movie menu to utilize the DD soundtrack (assuming there are others, like Dolby 2.0, etc.). Sometimes movies that are DD encoded don't default to it when playing.
Old 05-31-02, 09:35 AM

Do you have your receiver set for DD on the input channel that the DVD player is connected to?

I'll have to check that. Because I don't understand why it works for my Xbox and their setup the same way.
Old 05-31-02, 10:25 AM
Cool New Member

I could be wrong here but, isn't the fiber optic cable (Or Coaxial) for DTS (or DD 5.1 if no DTS track is available). If so, you will need to turn on your DTS out from either your DVD player or receiver (which ever has the processor in it). The way I have mine set up is (all Sony equipment) my DVD player is connected to the TV via S-Video only and the DVD player is connected to my receiver using the 6 RCA cable (R, C, L, RS, LS, Sub). My processor is in my DVD player. If my receiver had a digital input (fiber optic cable or Coaxial cable) I would have gotten rid of the 6 RCA cable and just used the one fiber optic cable (or Coaxial cable), but it doesn't. Thus I cannot use the DTS tracks.

This probably does not answer your question, does it?

Andy
Old 05-31-02, 10:48 AM

I'll tell you exactly how I have mine hooked up. I have the video wire from the DVD player going into the receiver then from there it goes into my TV. The opitcal calbe goes from my player to the optical in on my receiver.
Old 05-31-02, 11:57 AM
aam

Go to your player setup, set digital out to bitstream and if your amp is up to it, set dts to on. These are not set as standard.
Old 05-31-02, 12:26 PM

Go to your player setup, set digital out to bitstream and if your amp is up to it, set dts to on. These are not set as standard.
Actually I just changed those yesterday. But it still won't play in DD.
Old 05-31-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What brand/model are the receiver and DVD player? I had to change settings on my Pioneer DVD player and the Pioneer receiver to get DTS to work.
What happens if you switch the optical inputs on the receiver? (i.e., plug the fiber from the DVD player into optical input 1 on the receiver.)
Old 05-31-02, 02:58 PM

What brand/model are the receiver and DVD player?
Sony Receiver / Samsung DVD player
Old 06-03-02, 11:34 AM

Well I found the problem. The digital in on my receiver is bad. That's great it probably never worked and now the warranty ran out.