Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any good VCR suggestions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new VCR and was wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions out there.

I'm looking for a good, regular VCR (no DVD combo) with some bells and whistles possibly, but not top of the line by any means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Old 05-28-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Try www.eopinions.com for ratings/etc on them.

And this is a good place for home theater forums:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?s=
Old 05-28-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
What's a VCR?
Old 05-28-02, 03:26 PM

I have a JVC 7800U. It is a VHS/SVHS VCR in the $200-$250 price range. It really does a wonderful job on recording and especially on playback. It cleans up bad recordings really well with digital timebase correction. If you have a little more to spend I'm sure the 9800 is even better, but I was extremely impressed by my 7800 it has the best picture quality I have ever seen in a VCR.
Old 05-30-02, 12:12 AM
Cool New Member

I agree with thisguy...it's quite random that thisguy has the same vcr as thatguy...I got mine from crutchfield with free shipping and a referral which gave me some cash off...it's awesome for playing old tapes...
Old 05-30-02, 12:07 PM

The Sony SLV- N88 was the top rated performer in the most recent Consumer Reports tests. I got my mother one for her birthday and she seems very happy with it. It has a feature that I had never seen before. A single knob on the front of the unit allows you to easily program it without the tv being on. Lists for $130 and discounts might be hard to come by. I got mine at Best Buy with the 4 year extended warranty, since they only give 90 days labor on VCRs these days. I think the warranty was $30.
Old 05-30-02, 02:40 PM

I would say Sony, Panasonic and JVC VCR's are of the best quality. Among these 3 brands, it's up to your personal taste.

I have never owned a SVHS and I don't know if it is worth it. If you want to connect your camcorder to your VCR via a S-video connection, I suppose that's where it would come in handy.

If you own a DVD player, you are most likely not going to use a VCR for watching movies anymore (unless you have old movies that have not come out in DVD). I personally use my VCR only to tape TV shows when I am not home. For this purpose, a VCR in the $80-$140 price range should be more than sufficient from one of the manufacturer's above.
Old 05-30-02, 07:50 PM
Banned

Yeah its definitely creepy that thisguy and thatguy have the same dvd player.
Old 05-31-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend going with a SVHS machine. My personal preference is for Mitsubishi.