Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

some basic hookup ?'s for new RPHDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am purchasing either the 61" hitachi swx series or the 908 Mits Diamond Seried. Both are 16:9. I just ran into a couple of questions that I can't seem to clear up, mostly about hookup.

1. If the tv does 3:2 pulldown, can I still use my non-progressive dvdplayer (pioneer-414) or do i need to upgrade? I am asuming that 3:2 pulldown just provides you with the best possible DVD picture.

2. People are recommending to hook up the dvd player directly to the HDTV through the component cables. Will i still run the audio thru the receiver to get DD?

3. What video signals still pass from my receiver to the HDTV as opposed tto from the source directly to the HDTV? VCR? Satellite? PS2?

4. What hookup will provide the best picture? I guess just basic wiring.

5. Finally, is there a way to downconvert the signal from a non-HD source so it doesn't look like crap. My concern is picking up channels that, when run thru the HD's resolution, will look like crap. How do you circumvent the issue of a crappy picture?

Thanks a lot people.

SPY
Old 05-01-02, 10:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: some basic hookup ?'s for new RPHDTV

I'll give it a shot.

1. If the tv does 3:2 pulldown, can I still use my non-progressive dvdplayer (pioneer-414) or do i need to upgrade? I am asuming that 3:2 pulldown just provides you with the best possible DVD picture.
You can use your player. You are correct about the 3:2 pulldown.

2. People are recommending to hook up the dvd player directly to the HDTV through the component cables. Will i still run the audio thru the receiver to get DD?
Yes.

3. What video signals still pass from my receiver to the HDTV as opposed tto from the source directly to the HDTV? VCR? Satellite? PS2?
It depends on how many inputs you have and what switching your receiver has. As direct a connection to the HDTV the better for video. Audio you might want all directly to the receiver with some audio also directly to the HDTV so you don't need the receiver on to listen.

4. What hookup will provide the best picture? I guess just basic wiring.
HDTV DB15, then component, then s-video, then composite is lowering quality order. Direct to the HDTV would be better, but probably marginally for s-video and compostie. I don't know too much about the specific brands of cables (other than Monster is generally considered a ripoff), but I hear Bettercables has some good ones for decent prices.

5. Finally, is there a way to downconvert the signal from a non-HD source so it doesn't look like crap. My concern is picking up channels that, when run thru the HD's resolution, will look like crap. How do you circumvent the issue of a crappy picture?
That's a big problem. The best solution for most sets is either running them through an external processor, whether line-doubler or computer using DScaler. Otherwise you're at the mercy of your set's doubler/deinterlacer.
Old 05-01-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I upgraded to a progressive-scan player after getting my HDTV. Sometimes edges would become sort of jagged/blocky, especially on moving objects. It was only slightly annoying, but the progressive-scan player stopped it. Also, make sure what zoom your player has, some will cut stuff off the sides when they zoom. My HDTV lets you change modes even if the source is progressive (some assume all progressive signals are anamorphic & lock on stretch/full mode), so using the tv's zoom doesn't hurt the quality very much (non-anamorphic still look good, just not quite as sharp). I used the tv's zoom for the newest Kubrick full-frame dvds & the picture was still very nice, and the framing looked correct also- no heads or anything got chopped that was noticable.
Old 05-01-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Thanks for the replies. My first question was to determine whether or not a progressive scan dvd was redundant with a tv that does 3:2 pulldown.

Also, that question regarding non HD images. To improve that picture, would I need a set top line doubler? Does anyone know how good the line doubler is in the tv (Hitachi?) If it has a line doubler, would I still need another line doubler externally?

SPY
Old 05-02-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My older HDTV was replaced by Toshiba for a newer model & it looks pretty good without any extra equipment when watching regular stations. I have DirecTv & all the stations look pretty clear. My HDTV is 65" so you have to be back a little or it's slightly fuzzy. If yours isn't as big & new, I'd try it first before buying any extra equipment- it should look just fine. My newer model was only 1 to 1 1/2 years newer, but does everything better & looks better all around. People that need all that stuff might have a slightly older tv that doesn't upconvert as well as the newest ones.
Old 05-08-02, 02:19 PM

"I upgraded to a progressive-scan player after getting my HDTV. Sometimes edges would become sort of jagged/blocky, especially on moving objects. It was only slightly annoying, but the progressive-scan player stopped it. Also, make sure what zoom your player has, some will cut stuff off the sides when they zoom. My HDTV lets you change modes even if the source is progressive (some assume all progressive signals are anamorphic & lock on stretch/full mode), so using the tv's zoom doesn't hurt the quality very much (non-anamorphic still look good, just not quite as sharp). I used the tv's zoom for the newest Kubrick full-frame dvds & the picture was still very nice, and the framing looked correct also- no heads or anything got chopped that was noticable"

I have a WS65908 and the edges seem a liitle sharp. That is from the SVM. To access this on my model you go to menu and type in 8257. Theis brings up a service menu. DO NOT PLAY around in this menu. YOU can ruin a set!!! press "video" until you see 51. The SVM should be set at 3. turn it down to 0 or 1. Press enter and hit menu again. Make sure you do not go into other menus and screw around. This reduced the edges cosiderably. My Toshiba sd9200 has the same feature but it is call edge enhance. It is set to OFF all the time. the pic is slightly soft, but I think it looks better the seeing edges.