Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Built-in DD decoder in DVD question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Built-in DD decoder in DVD question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-02, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built-in DD decoder in DVD player question

I bought a DVD player which has built in dolby digital decoder for my friend.
What I want to know is this. My friend does not have a receiver, but has a small component system (CD, cassette, FM in one unit).
Can my friend get 5.1 dolby digital surround sound without a receiver? If not, why the DVD player equip built-in decoder?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by inkonpark; 04-19-02 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-19-02, 08:03 AM

Well, you would need 6 amps to power the speakers, other than that it would work just fine.
Old 04-19-02, 08:38 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Built-in DD decoder in DVD player question

Originally posted by inkonpark
I bought a DVD player which has built in dolby digital decoder for my friend.
What I want to know is this. My friend does not have a receiver, but has a small component system (CD, cassette, FM in one unit).
Can my friend get 5.1 dolby digital surround sound without a receiver? If not, why the DVD player equip built-in decoder?

Thanks in advance!!!
Assuming he has a powered subwoofer, not only is powering the other 5 speakers going to be a problem, but how would he plan on connecting all 6 speakers? I don't think his current system has the appropriate connections for a 5.1 speaker setup.
Old 04-19-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Your friend would need at least a "Dolby Digital Ready" receiver. This will have the 6 inputs on the back to match up with the 6 audio outputs on the back of the DVD player.
I'm not so sure you can still buy new DD-ready receivers anymore, but you can get a cheap receiver with DD built in for under $200.
Old 04-19-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man
I'm not so sure you can still buy new DD-ready receivers anymore, but you can get a cheap receiver with DD built in for under $200.
Yes you can. Almost every brand of receiver out there has at least one model that has the inputs for multi channel. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use DVD-Audio or SACD or your DD/DTS DVD player.
Old 04-19-02, 12:22 PM

If you just wanted a dedicated DVD (CD also since a DVD player can play CDs) system, you could just pick up a 5 channel amp (6 if you don't have a powered sub) and then directly hook the DVD player up to the amp.
Old 04-19-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zargon
If you just wanted a dedicated DVD (CD also since a DVD player can play CDs) system, you could just pick up a 5 channel amp (6 if you don't have a powered sub) and then directly hook the DVD player up to the amp.
If you went this route, you'd probably want a volume control thrown in the signal path somewhere.
Old 04-19-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then you end up spending more then just buying a DD/DTS receiver which would give you the best control and price/performance compared to seperate amps etc...