Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV or Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV or Alternative

I'm getting rid of my old POS tv in exchange for a new, bigger, better picture. I was wondering what kind of deals there were out there for a decent 16:9 tv (anysize), or a 36er? I'm not the pickiest about picture, sound is my game (and profession) but I need something to match my audio. Budget is of course #1. I've been looking at the Samsung 47" 16:9 they have out now, but $1600 seems kind of steep for me. I was really hoping to keep it near a grand, refurbs and crap like that don't bother me. I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Brian
Old 04-18-02, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

no advice - but cool to see your name in here again
Old 04-18-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you are just starting to do your research now i would hold off on making a purchase for a few more months. hd capable sets with DVI inputs are starting to come out now and it might be a good idea to get one of the new models to avoid the possibility of having to watch downrezzed programming (480p) on a 1080i capable set. it's not definitely going to happen, but some manufacturers (sony) are already moving in that direction. might as well play it safe.
Old 04-20-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That would work out even better for me if newer models were popping out. I'm not looking to buy the best of the best, I'm looking for something kick-ass for as little as possible. I wouldn't even mind a refrub or old model.

I wouldn't buy a used projection tv though, I just don't trust the guns on those things. I just don't know where to buy, when, or how. I've looked on the web all over, but a 15$ coupon isn't a big deal when we're talking over a grand here.
Old 04-21-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Panasonic makes a 47" HDTV (16x9) in the $1300 range and believe me you will not be sorry you paid the extra $300 or so after you start watching HD and DVD's on a bigger HDTV! The smaller Picture tube based HDTV's just don't give you the Theater feel like the 47" and up size HDTV's do. I don't think you will find a 16x9 Picture Tube based HDTV for anything less then $2000 or so anyways.

Glad to hear you know better then to be suckered into buying a used RPTV as they just get killed with high hours in stores and warranties DO NOT cover wear and tear so no matter what warranty you get it won't matter.
Old 04-21-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that price at Best Buy or something? I haven't seen the 47"ers for anything less than $1700 or so? Where can you get it for that price?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A buddy of mine got it at Sears for somehwere in the $1300 range. They will price match at Sears.