Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

should I upgrade Sony NS300 Dvd Player???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this player as a starter and was wondering if I would tell any difference in picture by upgrading to a better DVD player. I would like to stay in the Sony family but if there are better deals out there, I am willing to go. I have a 32 in. Wega so it may be a little easier to tell some differences. I was reading up on the 7000 progressive scan and it seems pretty good(and yeas I realize the progressive scan won't do anything for my tv). I want CD-r playability and maybe MP3 but if I won't be able to tell the difference in picture then I am not sure if it is a good move to upgrade right now. Thanks for any advice
Old 04-13-02, 02:48 AM

Sony DVD players can't hold water to the king of DVD players... Panasonic, Pioneer or Toshiba.

If you are looking for a DVD player with MP3 and prog scan, can't beat the Panasonic RP-56 for $220.
Old 04-13-02, 03:07 AM

is there going to be any difference in picture? Also I have to have a dvd player with Coax digital.
Old 04-13-02, 08:10 AM

As you go up in price range there is going to be a increase in quality as long as you stick to the three major brands (Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba). They are going to be using better hardware, better audio and video DACs, better transport. Which is going to help the player work, look and sound better.

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-37 and I so can tell the difference in quality over a Toshiba SD-1700, or even a Panasonic RP-56. Granted I spent about 4 times as much on my Pioneer over the Panasonic RP-56, it better damn well look better.
Old 04-13-02, 12:02 PM

So does everyone think the Panasonic is a better bet over the Sony 700 and would give me better quality. I also read some stuff about the Toshiba 4700 and 5700?
Old 04-13-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jhiter24
So does everyone think the Panasonic is a better bet over the Sony 700 and would give me better quality. I also read some stuff about the Toshiba 4700 and 5700?
One friend of mine has a Panasonic player and another has a Sony. I much prefer the Sony. It has slightly better build quality, the remote is much better and the on-screen user interface is more intuitive.

It seems like every time someone is posting about problems playing certain discs, they seem to own a Toshiba. A lot of these are older models, but it's still prominent enough for me to be put off of Toshiba.

That said, if you stick with Sony, Pioneer or Panasonic you should be happy, but you won't really see an improvement in picture quality unless you start spending the big bucks for higher-end players. The exception would be if you get a progressive-capable TV and a progressive scan DVD player.

If you want CD-R and MP-3 compatibility, then yes, you'll need a new player. I think all of the Sony players except the entry-level model will give you this.
Old 04-13-02, 07:33 PM

OK, I went in and checked out the Sony 700, and Panasonic 56 at my local Sears. They have the Sony for $249 and the Pany for $179. I was just looking for some more insight to any of these. Also, when are the new models coming out or where can I get some info on what they are going to be offering?