Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT Specs: Help needed with specs and Tuner

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All,

My father has seen the light and is starting to look for components to build his home theater room with. He has asked me to help him pick out some solid components, but nothing overkill. $$ isn't a big deal, but he isn't an audiophile and he needs something that is decent/worth the money.

So Far:

HDTV: He isn't sure about the 16:9 vs. 4:3...i am pushing for 4:3 because I am sure he will start to watch more TV down there, not just dvd's. (I picked out a Toshiba 43HX71....probably a Panny for the 16:9 route, also 55" is the absolute max he would want)

FM Tuner: He really wants to be able to listen to the radio without all of that static. He drives a good deal for work, so he has become a BIG radio fan as of late. So I need suggestions for a tuner. Also, can i hook the tuner up to a receiver, or do I need an amp? (I don't use a seperate tuner in my setup, so this is new territory for me)

DVD Player: (2) He needs a multi-disk DVD Player upstairs to use to play background music in the living room and lounging areas, but also be used for watching movies in the adjoining room to the kitchen during dinner. There is a Pioneer 5 disk that I have heard excellent things about, the model # escapes me, but he is sold on it. As for downstairs, I suggested a single disk prog. scan....RP56 (again, I forget the model number) Suggestions? I believe that he is going to use the receiver downstairs until he kind find the right speakers for upstairs (probably 2 sets of bookshell speakers, A&B)...then he will be forced to buy a prog. DVD player downstairs.

Receiver: He has my old Kenwood receiver that he is going to need upstairs. It is a decent receiver and is more than adequate for playing music and actually sounds better than my current sony for CD playback. EVENTUALLY he is going to get a 5.1 or 6.1 setup downstairs in the HT room, but the receiver and speakers are the last thing he is going to buy. So he will need one eventually, but this isn't vital right now.

Speakers: As mentioned above, he needs 2 sets up bookshelf speakers for upstairs (sooner), and eventually a 5.1 or 6.1 setup downstairs (later).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-pedagogue
Old 04-08-02, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
A home theater receiver contains a tuner.

Progressive players are below $300 now and if you are going with a big screen I would definitely get a progressive scan player.

My advice with speakers is always to go out and listen to some!