Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is the 27" Akai flat screen as good as Sony?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is the 27" Akai flat screen as good as Sony?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add that I picked up one of these Akais the other day just as a basic set for the family room. From what I have seen so far this set is an absolute steal for the 350 bucks Sams is getting. I also picked up one of the Daewoo 5800 DVD players and I have to say that for roughly $450 these two pieces make a terrific basis for a bedroom, or second-string HT setup! I was strongly considering a Wega 27 or 32 and I am SO glad I saved the money and went with the Akai.

Anamorphic mode looks fantastic, with picture quality amazingly close to HD for such a low price. Stuff like Gladiator and Episode I have eye-popping color and nearly-3d detail. Yes it's a small screen, but the picture quality is so strong on anamorphic discs that it draws you in almost as well as a big screen, in a totally dark room that is. Once calibrated I can't see any reason to opt for the low end Wega 27" over this one. Of course if it craps out in 2 months I'll be eating my words, but right now I have nothing but praise.

Last edited by TropicalRobot; 06-06-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone purchased the Akai 54" HDTV ready big screen at Sam's?

I'm seriously considering this as a go-between before I build a home theater dedicated room (hopefully 5+ years from now). If this thing looks to be the real deal and if it can display DVDs with a high quality I might just bite.

I'm also wondering if I'll need to upgrade to a progressive DVD player or if this thing does the 2:3 for me.

Thanks,

Barry