Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

can i use my Home theater overseas?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK... here is my problem. I have a pretty nice home theater set up. I watch movies at home quite often, and would hate to stop now. I am in the Air Force, and have found a great job that would take me to Scotland for about three years. Needless to say, i am very excited about going on this assignment. I am, however, a little concerned about what that will do to my DVD addiction. Does anyone know what i will have to do in order to make my current equipment work in Scotland? I have a nice widescreen tv (NTSC), and progressive scan player (region 1, but i dont care about the region question. I want to watch my region 1 dvds anyway). Now, i am guessing i can get some kind of transformer to adjust to the differences in the voltage, but what about the Hz cycle difference? also, is there some kind of converter box to allow my TV to receive PAL broadcasts? I can live with buying a new PAL TV to watch local broadcast, but i cant see buying a new widescreen set just to watch movies when i have a nice set already.
Any insight you may have would be greatly apprieciated.
Old 03-25-02, 07:40 PM
wkc
Cool New Member

Electrical equipment in the UK runs of 50Hz 240V. If necessary you can get a step down transformer for your DVD player. The frequency of the electrical supply does not matter to a DVD player.

Your TV poses a different problem. Take it with you and use it as a monitor only with a step down transformer or leave it behind. Most US TVs cannot deal with a PAL signal. Thus you would be unable to use a locally sourced VCR as a tuner. Becareful when choosing a new UK TV to ensure compatibility with your US DVD player.

You can buy inexpensive region free PAL/NTSC capable DVD players in the UK, so you may chose the best option to buy new kit in the UK.

Good luck.

Regards
Old 03-26-02, 01:56 PM

thanks for the info. I have no problem just using it as a monitor, and getting a local set for broadcast TV. Now, is the 50HZ cycle going to put a line accross my set? i have heard that it may. I will just hope for the best