Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Would DVD player's price go higher?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Below is an article from some WEB [... blah, blah, blah. Removed spam. -X]
Old 03-21-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't think the Chinese players would be allowed to be sold in other countries if they were blowing off patents that are recognized by almost all countries!
Old 03-21-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regardless of patent costs, the price of the technology used is rapidly going down. I don't see how prices could go up. Sure you've got your $2,000 - $3000 players, but in a year those will drop significantly in price, and be replaced by the next bigger and better thing. I bought a Sony DVP-S770 (a $1,500 player when it first debuted) for only $400 when the next model came out. As a rule, things of a technological nature usually get cheaper over time, with automobiles being one of the few exceptions, if not the only exception. Lower DVD player sales have created a huge boost on the market. You can't take that away from the consumer and expect DVD video to become dominant. The studios would never allow that.
Old 03-21-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, various news articles in Chinese newspapers and elsewhere have said that the Chinese manufacturers hadn't been paying either any or only a portion (depends on the company) of the DVD patent and associated technology fees.

Typically, the Chinese electronics industry spends under 3 percent of their revenue on research and development. If you count only the top-100 Chinese electronics companies, that figure is 3.5 percent for R&D of technology.... It's much more economical to let someone else pay the R&D and they you can manufacture and sell the units. If you are solely interested in making money, you either run a printing press, or avoid paying R&D because R&D is only a 100% waste of your money if you consider that you only make money by selling goods and not by licensing intellectual property.

Currently (as of March 2002), the 6C and 3C manufacturing blocs in the DVD alliance are asking that Chinese manufacturers pay $20 patent and royalty fees per player. I don't know how the DVD alliance can get an accurate count as the Chinese firms launder units through varous channels.
Old 03-22-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Startide
Well, various news articles in Chinese newspapers and elsewhere have said that the Chinese manufacturers hadn't been paying either any or only a portion (depends on the company) of the DVD patent and associated technology fees.

Typically, the Chinese electronics industry spends under 3 percent of their revenue on research and development. If you count only the top-100 Chinese electronics companies, that figure is 3.5 percent for R&D of technology.... It's much more economical to let someone else pay the R&D and they you can manufacture and sell the units. If you are solely interested in making money, you either run a printing press, or avoid paying R&D because R&D is only a 100% waste of your money if you consider that you only make money by selling goods and not by licensing intellectual property.

Currently (as of March 2002), the 6C and 3C manufacturing blocs in the DVD alliance are asking that Chinese manufacturers pay $20 patent and royalty fees per player. I don't know how the DVD alliance can get an accurate count as the Chinese firms launder units through varous channels.
Well if this is true our goverments should be banning Chinese imports until they pay up! What the hell good are laws if only those who wish to can abide by them!
Old 03-23-02, 06:56 PM

So thats why those apex units are such a good deal, technology pirates! Oh well I bought mine before I knew this. My conscience remains clear. =)

-K
Old 03-23-02, 07:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't think this discussion quite went the direction the spammer wanted it to.

Unfortunately they couldn't present their argument in a fair manner and had to resort to signing up under least 6 identities to spew their propaganda in multiple forums trying to make it look like it wasn't just one company's agenda. Kind of makes a statement right there. They are very lucky we don't identify them.