Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DirecTV in an apartment???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-02, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Looking for some advice:

Got DirecTV in October and I had no intention of moving. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am now moving into another apartment. I haven't dealt with the landlord in regards to the small dish...but I DO have the agreement with DirecTV for a year. Does anyone know what options I have? Has anyone's landlord ever flat out denied them the ability to have one of these dishes? Is there any non-destructive way of having one put on the side of the building?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Do I just give up?
Old 03-18-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is quoted from another thread...

The landlord does not have the right to refuse instalation if you have an exclusive use area in which to install it. A number of tennents did end up installing a satelite dish.

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

http://www.fcc.gov/faq-sat.html#1

The following from the FCC website may be of interest.

Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to prohibit restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit.

Q: Does the rule apply to condominiums or apartment buildings if the antenna is installed so that it hangs over or protrudes beyond the balcony railing or patio wall?

A: No. The rule does not prohibit restrictions on antennas installed beyond the balcony or patio of a condominium or apartment unit if such installation is in, on, or over a common area. An antenna that extends out beyond the balcony or patio is usually considered to be in a common area that is not within the scope of the rule. Therefore, the rule does not apply to a condominium or rental apartment unit unless the antenna is installed wholly within the exclusive use area, such as the balcony or patio.

Q: Does the fact that management or the association has the right to enter these areas mean that the resident does not have exclusive use?

A: No. The fact that the building management or the association may enter an area for the purpose of inspection and/or repair does not mean that the resident does not have exclusive use of that area. Likewise, if the landlord or association regulates other uses of the exclusive use area (e.g., banning grills on balconies), that does not affect the viewer's rights under the Commission's rule. This rule permits persons to install antennas on property over which the person has either exclusive use or exclusive control. Note, too, that nothing in this rule changes the landlord's or association's right to regulate use of exclusive use areas for other purposes. For example, if the lease prohibits antennas and flags on balconies, only the prohibition of antennas is eliminated by this rule; flags would still be prohibited.

Q: Does the rule apply to residents of rental property?

A: Yes. Effective January 22, 1999, renters may install antennas within their leasehold, which means inside the dwelling or on outdoor areas that are part of the tenant's leased space and which are under the exclusive use or control of the tenant. Typically, for apartments, these areas include balconies, balcony railings, and terraces. For rented single family homes or manufactured homes which sit on rented property, these areas include the home itself and patios, yards, gardens or other similar areas. If renters do not have access to these outside areas, the tenant may install the antenna inside the rental unit. Renters are not required to obtain the consent of the landlord prior to installing an antenna in these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof or the exterior walls of an apartment building. Generally, balconies or patios that are shared with other people or are accessible from other units are not considered to be exclusive use areas.

Q: Are there restrictions that may be placed on residents of rental property?

A: Yes. A restriction necessary to prevent damage to leased property may be reasonable. For example, tenants could be prohibited from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof. However, a restriction designed to prevent ordinary wear and tear (e.g., marks, scratches, and minor damage to carpets, walls and draperies) would likely not be reasonable provided the antenna is installed wholly within the antenna user's own exclusive use area.

In addition, rental property is subject to the same protection and exceptions to the rule as owned property. Thus, a landlord may impose other types of restrictions that do not impair installation, maintenance or use under the rule. The landlord may also impose restrictions necessary for safety or historic preservation.

Q: If I live in a condominium, cooperative, or other type of residence where certain areas have been designated as "common," do these rules apply to me?

A: The rules apply to residents of these types of buildings, but the rules do not permit you to install an antenna on a common area, such as a walkway, hallway, community garden, exterior wall or the roof. However, you may install the antenna wholly within a balcony, deck, patio, or other area where you have exclusive use.

Drilling through an exterior wall, e.g. to run the cable from the patio into the unit, is generally not within the protection of the rule because the exterior wall is generally a common element. You may wish to check with your retailer or installer for advice on how to install the antenna without drilling a hole. Alternatively, your landlord or association may grant permission for you to drill such a hole. The Commission's rules generally do not cover installations if you drill through a common element.
Old 03-18-02, 05:38 PM

I go to college and I've seen an interesting setup with a dish. The people had a balcony on the third floor. They had an old metal barrel with a hunk of wood that was attached to the top of the barrel and hung over the balcony. The dish was attach to the hunk of wood hanging over the balcony.

| B| ---------------Dish
| A|
| R|
| R|
| E|
| L|

The wood is from the barrel to the dish.
Make sense, if not I'll take a picture and post it.

Drew
Old 03-18-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do it right, you can and they can not stop you.

You can also use a special link to pass the coax connection thru glass so you do not have to make any holes in the walls

http://www.smarthome.com/7816.html
Old 03-18-02, 08:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I've even done it with the antenna inside and pointing out through a pane of glass. Has to be the right thickness glass though.
Old 03-18-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X
I've even done it with the antenna inside and pointing out through a pane of glass.
I think you meant to post in the 'Freaky Sex Forum'

Old 03-18-02, 08:58 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by 4KRG
I think you meant to post in the 'Freaky Sex Forum'

Oops.
Old 03-19-02, 10:09 AM
Banned

Well here's the problem...

I don't have a balcony...all i have is a fire escape...which I obviously wouldn't be able to use. It sux because i have a PERFECT view to have it set. I live on the top floor of my building and the corner apartment.

Is there a way to attach it to the building without ruining the building?

I honestly didn't understand your little barrell idea. Care to explain a little more?

Still hoping...
Old 03-19-02, 11:00 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also if your fire escape has a good railing you could always use a muffler clamp to secute the mounting bracket to the railing I don't think that would violate any codes. Also try some permanent cement to "GLUE" it to the side of your building the you can chip it off afterwarsa, that is if your building is made of brick
Old 03-19-02, 01:29 PM

In NYC people have entire gardens on their fire escapes. who's worried about a dish? Using strong clamps like SnO said sounds like the best idea to me. You could also clamp the dish to cynder blocks and just place it out there.

I like the idea of that device that passes signal through the window, if it's single pane glass. It's convenient, but maybe an eyesore.

If that's not feasible, do you have an air conditoner? Maybe you could run it through the AC or drill a path through the sealant/caulk. Then no one can complain about you drilling another hole in the wall.

I had the idea of putting the dish on the roof and using the intalled cable, but it won't work. I think that's only possible on smaller, old buildings where they have the cable center on the roof (like my mom's). Also, someone will steal the dish.