Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How do you clean inside your DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-02, 05:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My player has is starting to quit working on me, so I want to try any last effort I can to get it to work w/o spending money on it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-14-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By inside, do you mean the disc tray, or the circuitry of the unit? The only way to really clean inside would be to remove the case and then blow it out very well with canned air. Unless you live in a very dusty/smokey environment, I don't see the point of doing that. Or, if you smell the dust cook off the components when you turn it on, it might be a good idea.

As for inside the tray, wipe off any dust on the tray itself (shouldn't be any there though unless you leave it hanging open for hours on end) and run a DVD lens cleaner disc through it to clean the laser.

What's wrong with the player, what's it doing? That info will tell a lot of us here exactly what needs to be done, if ther is any point in doing anything.
Old 03-18-02, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Toshiba 2109 that I bought new maybe three years back. Now it's begun to pixelate now and then at random. Would opening the box and vacuming help?
Old 03-19-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start by cleaning the lens first. That's usually the only thing that would ever need cleaning. Spend the $10 and get a lens cleaner kit.

Vacuuming does very little, as most vacuums people have are very low powered. Blowing things out using canned air is more prefferable as it has a lot more pressure behind it. But again, no one should really have to do that.