Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Blu Ray, Hellllooooo Red!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you knew it was coming!

DVD Forum gives nod to low-bit-rate encoding, nixes blue laser

From the EE Times:
March 5, 2002

PARIS — The look of the next generation of digital video disks got harder to call when the DVD Forum's Steering Committee voted this week to approve the use of low-bit-rate compression for high-definition DVD.

The DVD Forum's decision, made at a meeting Tuesday (Feb. 26) in Tokyo, to stick with a red-laser-based scheme but switch to low-bit-rate compression, came only a week after nine of the world's biggest electronics companies agreed to promote a blue-laser-based format for next-generation video and computer optical disks. That format, the Blu-ray Disc, was developed outside the forum, but all nine of the initial backers are forum members.

Looking to avoid what they say would be a costly shift to blue-laser technology, steering committee member Warner Bros. and other content-production companies are behind the new DVD Forum proposal, which uses low-bit-rate encoding technology such as MPEG-4 to cram 9 Gbytes of high-definition video content onto a two-layer DVD. Blu-ray uses MPEG-2 compression, as does the current DVD standard. A single-sided 12-cm Blu-ray Disc would store 27 Gbytes of computer data, record 13 hours of broadcast TV or hold two hours' worth of high-definition video.

Of the 17 companies that sit on the DVD Forum steering committee, 11 approved the low-bit-rate encoding approach. The remaining six — including Matsushita, JVC and Philips — reportedly abstained.
Much more on the site, including a diagram, but you get the idear. Sounds like all the seals harping from HD-DVD will get it, but at what cost?
Old 03-07-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's not get too excited just yet. It ain't over til the fat lady sings. I have a feeling that we haven't heard the last form Blu-Ray. It's too early on in the game to tell.
Old 03-07-02, 11:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Yup, I'm hesitant to believe anything at this point.
Old 03-07-02, 11:50 AM
Banned

I like the idea of Blue Ray. I would hate to see this technology put off but it is not in our hands. Interesting how some companies switched their minds though.
Old 03-07-02, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

remember DTS?

In the end the consumer will decide.