Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good Progressive Scan Dvd Players???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good Progressive Scan Dvd Players???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-02, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't seem to get it do you! You are NOT saving money or getting superior performance/quality by buying one brand only! In fact you spend more and get less by doing so.
You don't seem to get it do you! I'm not saying that you will save money or get superior performance/quality by doing so. I am saying that it could save headages and you could gain certain features by doing so. When I look for a system, I don't look at the price tag; I always go with the rule, "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it."

Your analogy to buying parts for a automobile is rediculous to say the least! Automobiles are not composed of seperate components that a person can go out and buy to assemble themselves! Were not talking about buying parts for a component but buying components to complete a home theater!
Of course automobiles can't be composed of seperate components that a person can go out and buy to assemble themselves. That is why all the automobile restorers out there have been lieing to us all these years claiming that they did the restoration when we know they just purchased the car from the factory that way. If you can think of a better analogy, please share.
Old 03-04-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012

You don't seem to get it do you! I'm not saying that you will save money or get superior performance/quality by doing so. I am saying that it could save headages and you could gain certain features by doing so. When I look for a system, I don't look at the price tag; I always go with the rule, "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it."
Your quote below from an earlier post indeed shows you are saying it costs more to NOT buy all the same brand!
Yes, I'm sure you could spend extra money and duplicate anything you would be losing by not using the same manufacturer.
Also you seem to think it's rocket science to assenble and operate a HT system! Well the slight differences between all the same brand and getting the best component regardless of manufacturer are ever so slight and still it is a very simple operation to perform both assembly and operation!

Last edited by Frank S; 03-04-02 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-04-02, 02:56 AM
Banned

Your quote below from an earlier post indeed shows you are saying it costs more to NOT buy all the same brand
It was mentioned that some of the advantages to using one manufacturer (such as the Denon Digital Link) could be duplicated. Well, as far as I can see, the only way to duplicate that would be to purchase more equipment to process the signal out of the DVD player before it reached the Receiver. There for, I could be more expensive if you tried to duplicate it. Why you would want to duplicate it when you could just purchase it in the first place, I don't know.

Also you seem to think it's rocket science to assenble and operate a HT system! Well the slight differences between all the same brand and getting the best component regardless of manufacturer are ever so slight and still it is a very simple operation to perform both assembly and operation!
Not saying it is hard to do, I'm just saying there could be compliance issues. Let me say that again compliance issues.
Old 03-04-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could only see sticking with the same brand if they offered superior components!

I have a Denon 2802 receiver right now and a Panasonic DVD player. Hell, ya that DVD player is getting scrapped as soon as the new Denon 1600 comes out because it is a high quality piece of equipment.

Seeing that Denon make Mission speakers which are excellent also I can't use them as a analogy anymore

But:

Just because someone owns a Pioneer or a Sony receiver and TV which are decent products means they should "stick with the brand" and buy Pioneer or Sony speakers?

Why would someone even consider that. Pioneer and Sony speakers really suck not to mention how overpriced they are!

I realize your argument comes from the fact that your father and you have spent close to $10K on an all Mitsubishi setup which probably sounds good to you and him. No harm, no foul but:

Once you add a real receiver/amp and some real speakers to that wonderful TV you will see the light and wonder "what the hell was I thinking, I could have saved thousands on a better sounding system had I just mixed and matched superior quality components"!

I feel your pain though as I remember the first speakers I bought were Pioneers because they had huge 16" woofers and they matched my Pioneer receiver so they had to sound good. You can take a guess how they sounded and how deep the bass output from the huge 16" with the 3 ounce magnet was!

Oh well we live and learn so give it time

Last edited by jumbojp; 03-04-02 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-04-02, 03:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jumbojp
I could only see sticking with the same brand if they offered superior components!

I have a Denon 2802 receiver right now and a Panasonic DVD player. Hell, ya that DVD player is getting scrapped as soon as the new Denon 1600 comes out because it is a high quality piece of equipment.

Seeing that Denon make Mission speakers which are excellent also I can't use them as a analogy anymore

But:

Just because someone owns a Pioneer or a Sony receiver and TV which are decent products means they should "stick with the brand" and buy Pioneer or Sony speakers?

Why would someone even consider that. Pioneer and Sony speakers really suck not to mention how overpriced they are!

I realize your argument comes from the fact that your father and you have spent close to $10K on an all Mitsubishi setup which probably sounds good to you and him. No harm, no foul but:

Once you add a real receiver/amp and some real speakers to that wonderful TV you will see the light and wonder "what the hell was I thinking, I could have saved thousands on a better sounding system had I just mixed and matched superior quality components"!

I feel your pain though as I remember the first speakers I bought were Pioneers because they had huge 16" woofers and they matched my Pioneer receiver so they had to sound good. You can take a guess how they sounded and how deep the bass output from the huge 16" with the 3 ounce magnet was!

Oh well we live and learn so give it time
Wow there buddy, not once did I suggest that a person pick up speakers from the same company that they picked up their components from (why do people keep misquoting me). I am only talking about components here (DVD Player, Receiver, etc). Though I do regret that I did not have the time back then to test all the speakers available to me, I do not regret my purchase. Those Mits may not be the best, but they sound damn good. I'm not saying that they sound as good as a pair of B&Ws or something like that, I am just saying that they sound damn good. Now that I have time, yes, I would go back and change some stuff out, but what he's got now is great. No regrets, never.
Old 03-04-02, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never quoted anyone in my post

I consider speakers the most important component of a system. The components of a system are what comprise it as a whole and that to me includes speakers, wires, cables, stands, remotes, etc...

But since we are talking "rack components" I can't really think of any besides Mitsubishi that makes one superior product and one inferior product in that group.

Can anyone else name one? Just curious
Old 03-04-02, 03:53 PM
Cool New Member

Stupid Question...

Now I know I am probably going to get reemed for this, but....
Josh...if a DVD player sends a digital signal out, which if I understand correctly sends some 1's and 0's, and a receiver has a digital in, which receives the 1's and 0's....Does it matter if a JVC sends to a JVC or to a Onyko or a Sony...??? What are these "advantages" to sticking to one brand if it is just some data that the receiver is going to process on its own???
Svence

Last edited by csvencer; 03-04-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-05-02, 05:09 PM
Banned

Re: Stupid Question...

Originally posted by csvencer
Now I know I am probably going to get reemed for this, but....
Josh...if a DVD player sends a digital signal out, which if I understand correctly sends some 1's and 0's, and a receiver has a digital in, which receives the 1's and 0's....Does it matter if a JVC sends to a JVC or to a Onyko or a Sony...??? What are these "advantages" to sticking to one brand if it is just some data that the receiver is going to process on its own???
Svence
For instance (and since I have been looking at Denon alot lately), the new Denon DVD-9000 has a special feature called "Denon Digital Link" This feature....

When the DVD-9000 is connected via a shielded twisted pair (STP), RJ-45 fitted cable to a Denon Digital Link compliant A/V receiver, the Denon Digital Link interface enables high-grade LPCM 24-bit / 96-kHz / 6-channel or 24-bit / 192-kHz / 2-channel (*1) digital output. Since the Denon Digital Link uses low-voltage differential signaling (LVDS), transfer capabilities of greater than 1.2 Gbps at a differential voltage of approximately 0.3 Vpp are possible. And since signal transfer is balanced and voltage is lower than coaxial or unbalancedcables, the Denon Digital Link is far less susceptible to radiated noise, ensuring the highest level of signal transfer.
The only way to gain advantage of this technology when using a Denon DVD player is connecting it to a Denon Receiver. If you have any other brand, it will not work, and the money you paid for this technology will have been wasted. I am sure that other companies have this same type of technology built into there systems. Though I do not know which companies and what technology this is, I doubt that Denon is the only company that does this. This is why I recommend, in my opinion one should stick with the same brand DVD Player and Receiver.
Old 03-05-02, 05:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
Old 03-05-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Stupid Question...

The only way to gain advantage of this technology when using a Denon DVD player is connecting it to a Denon Receiver. If you have any other brand, it will not work, and the money you paid for this technology will have been wasted. I am sure that other companies have this same type of technology built into there systems. Though I do not know which companies and what technology this is, I doubt that Denon is the only company that does this. This is why I recommend, in my opinion one should stick with the same brand DVD Player and Receiver.

(removed inflammatory comment -Blade)
Old 03-05-02, 08:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Stupid Question...

Originally posted by palebluedot

Actually, the Denon example is legit. The Denon DVD-9000 (SRP $3500) does have their own proprietary "Denon Digital Link connection" that connects ONLY to their AVR-5803 receiver (SRP $4300). No lower Denon model(s) has it. However, to hear the difference, you're also going to need very very high end speakers, etc. How much of a real world difference will it make to most of us? Hmm...
Old 03-05-02, 09:30 PM
Banned

I was just using it as an example. I know it might be hard to believe that some people want audiophile sound from there systems.

To the Moderator: Is it cool to insult people like that? Cause I am holding a lot back.

Last edited by joshd2012; 03-05-02 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-05-02, 09:54 PM
X
Administrator

To the Moderator: Is it cool to insult people like that? Cause I am holding a lot back.
That wasn't quite what what we call a "personal attack". But it was getting close.

I'm not sure I'm the best one to mediate much of this because you know my opinion of your opinions. However I am able to distinguish personal attacks from strong challenges to clueless or factually incorrect posts.
Old 03-05-02, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by X
That wasn't quite what what we call a "personal attack". But it was getting close.

I'm not sure I'm the best one to mediate much of this because you know my opinion of your opinions. However I am able to distinguish personal attacks from strong challenges to clueless or factually incorrect posts.
So if I use a metaphor, its okay?
Old 03-05-02, 10:02 PM
X
Administrator

So if I use a metaphor, its okay?
I never tried a metaphor in my system so I can't say. Did it improve the picture?
Old 03-05-02, 10:11 PM
Banned

SteveVT...

Originally posted by X
I never tried a metaphor in my system so I can't say. Did it improve the picture?
Alright... SteveVT, since this guy is obiously only going to bulls*** me around, why don't you give me answer. If this guy is going to insult me, I should beable to retaliate if you won't. Why was can I retaliate that won't get me banned?
Old 03-05-02, 10:24 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Stupid Question...

You really know better than that.

If you think his comments are off base or pie in the sky, then explain it, but let's try to stay away from saying things that are likely to lead to a fight.

Thank you.
Old 03-05-02, 10:24 PM

I was just using it as an example. I know it might be hard to believe that some people want audiophile sound from there systems.

Take it easy...it was just a joke. Sheesh...

I understand your example but just because a company creates a proprietay connection scheme does not mean that you have to stick to one brand to get "audiophile" sound.
Old 03-05-02, 10:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stupid Question...

Originally posted by Blade
You really know better than that.

If you think his comments are off base or pie in the sky, then explain it, but let's try to stay away from saying things that are likely to lead to a fight.

Thank you.
Goodnees gracious Blade, I have had worse things said about me and other people have had worse things said about them without having comments removed or it considered to be inflamatory.

It was a joke...

I apologize but I think the senseitivity is a little high on this board lately...but again I apologize.
Old 03-05-02, 10:29 PM
Banned

Take it easy...it was just a joke. Sheesh...

I understand your example but just because a company creates a proprietay connection scheme does not mean that you have to stick to one brand to get "audiophile" sound.
I realize that it was a joke, but I'm not going to be slammed for retaliating. This way, I don't have to worry about that as the comment exist no more. Thanks Blade.
Old 03-05-02, 10:34 PM
Uber Member

Re: SteveVT...

Alright... SteveVT, since this guy is obiously only going to bulls*** me around, why don't you give me answer. If this guy is going to insult me, I should beable to retaliate if you won't. Why was can I retaliate that won't get me banned?
There is no way you can retaliate with out putting your posting privileges at risk. Either email a moderator or an administrator, or use the Report This Post to a Moderator feature found on every thread on these forums.

A warning has been issued and further out of bound remarks (though I seriously doubt they will happen) will be met with increasingly strong moderator actions.

You, however, might start to give consideration to the fact that a number of people with hands on experience and nothing to sell are questioning the basis and source of much of the advice you have given on this board. These are members who have spent a considerable amount of personal time and money learning about a hobby we all love, and who have also put forth a great deal of effort to help others learn about this hobby.

If you want to talk about the various tweaks that are out there, or the marginal benefits from brand matching, that's fine and while people will argue with the supposed merit of these ideas, the forum itself has no problem with it. But to be telling our less informed members that these things are proven facts or generally accepted and approved practices is doing them no favor, and gives us great concern about how you may be (however unintentionally) misleading them and by extension, giving our forums a bad name.

I strongly suggest rereading some of the refutations of your points that a number of people have taken some trouble to compose and perhaps rethinking how confidently you want to present said points.

Lastly, if you would like to discuss this any further, contact either me (see below for email) or the forum owner at [email protected]. But do not continue it in this thread, which is supposed to be about progressive scan DVD players.
Old 03-05-02, 10:37 PM
Uber Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stupid Question...

I apologize but I think the senseitivity is a little high on this board lately...but again I apologize.
Sorry, to sound harsh, but given the context of this particular situation, it was a little ill-timed. You need to remember he's probably not familiar with your posting style. I'm sending you an email with a more full explanation, as I'd rather keep from taking this anymore off topic.

-David
Old 03-05-02, 11:59 PM

Don't forget that wire hanger to connect your DVD Player to your receiver. You get them everytime when you get your clothes dry cleaned and they work just as good.
That's an interesting comment...I don't get the point, do you doubt that any reasonably conductive solid metal material will conduct a near perfect digital signal? It's a proven fact. A have a friend who proved it in a project for his audio engineering class. A piece of solid core electrical cable transmits a digital signal with slightly less dropped bits over a very high end optical cable. A piece of solid metal bar (basically, a "coathanger") will do the same. Of course, solid conductor connectors aren't practical for home audio use, but you get the point.

Never be fooled into paying a premium for "high end" coaxial digital cables!
Old 03-06-02, 01:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Mister Beefhead

That's an interesting comment...I don't get the point, do you doubt that any reasonably conductive solid metal material will conduct a near perfect digital signal? It's a proven fact. A have a friend who proved it in a project for his audio engineering class. A piece of solid core electrical cable transmits a digital signal with slightly less dropped bits over a very high end optical cable. A piece of solid metal bar (basically, a "coathanger") will do the same. Of course, solid conductor connectors aren't practical for home audio use, but you get the point.

Never be fooled into paying a premium for "high end" coaxial digital cables!
It was a quote from a previous post that I brought up again... its a long story. Anyway, no one (to my knowledge) doubts that this works, and there is huge arguement as to if Monster Cable is benefitial or not which will never be resolved. I personally prefer Monster Cable over a wire hanger, but that is my opinion.
Old 03-06-02, 12:37 PM

Well, I don't think that there is any question as to if Monster cable is quality cable...it certianly is. My big thing against Monster is that their prices are ridiculously overinflated. You can get the exact same preformance from high end cables that cost half as much. And as for digital cables, Monster is definitely an "improvement" in optical cable over, say, Recoton, but if a human ear can detect such a minute distortion is very debatable. Of course, your mindset goes a long way...most people will think they detect an improvement in sound after they spend a lot of money, even if there is no improvement. Is it then stupid to buy the premium cable? Not if it makes you happy. No one is knocking placebos. But if you don't have the money to spend, don't sit around hating your system because you have cheap connections. Take comfort in the fact that you have saved a lot of money and only sacrificed an infestimal abount of quality. That's a smart consumer. On the other hand, if you bought the premium stuff, feel good about the fact that you spared no expense to eliminate any chance of "less than perfect" (relatively speaking) sound. Thats a true audiophile!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.