Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation for a receiver (US499 budget)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-27-02, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subject says it all, i was looking at some sony and pioneer but could not make up my mind.

Hope to get a decent one for my jbl S38,S center,N26rear, sony subwoofer...

Please help. Thanks...
Old 02-27-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In that price range, the Onkyo 595, the Outlaw Audio 1050, the Marantz SR5200 ($550), or the Denon 1802

I would forget about the Sony or Pioneer models in that range.

Last edited by edclem; 02-27-02 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-27-02, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edclem
In that price range, the Onkyo 595, the Outlaw Audio 1050, the Marantz SR5200 ($550), or the Denon 1802

I would forget about the Sony or Pioneer models in that range.
Ditto!
Old 02-28-02, 10:37 AM

100w

any other recommendation? was wondering on the 100w per channel, 500 total receiver.
Old 02-28-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

don't put too much faith in the 100 Wpc stat.
All of the receivers I listed above are below 100 Wpc, but I guarantee you that they will blow the doors off a comparably priced Sony or Pioneer rated at 100.

Wattage ratings should be read in full:
X watts per channel, Y channels driven, with Z % Total Harmonic Distortion, and a bandwidth of A-B

All of the receivers I'm suggesting will have lower harmonic distortion, be rated with more channels driven, and (for the most part) will have been rated at full bandwidth (20-20,000 Hz). Sony and Pioneer (in their lower end stuff) will usually rate with 2 channels driven, at a specific frequency.

What does this mean? The lower the total harmonic distortion across the full frequency spectrum, the better the sound quality.

In the end, you need to decide for yourself. From my experience, my 70 Wpc Onkyo is both much louder and much cleaner than my old 100 Wpc JVC and Pioneer receivers were.
Old 02-28-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, you can ignore the wattage ratings on most receivers - generally completely bogus!

There's no set standard for measuring power output, so manufacturers are free to quote almost any spec they can imagine. They often don't measure output over the entire audible frequency range (bass especially). Most simply settle for a 1 kHz midrange point or (even worse) the highest output the amp can muster at any given time. Many (if not most) "100 watts per channel" receivers actually deliver output much closer to 50 watts most of the time.
Sony 100 watts/channel? Bollshirt!

The receivers mentioned in this thread are all good, but different. You should hear in-store demos, and preferably 30-day home trials before making your final decision.

If I was choosing a receiver under $500, there's no question which I'd choose - the OUTLAW 1050. You sacrifice certain bells and whistles that you might find in other similarly priced units (DPL-II is the newest, latest that you won't get on the OUTLAW), but none of the other units in this price range can touch the OUTLAW for sound quality. And I can't think of one that will do 6.1 channel processing.

This is the only unit in your price range that will approach an audiophile level sound quality. Plus, you get far more extensive bass management options than on most others in this range. And 6.1 channel processing.

Oh yeah... when OUTLAW claims 65 wpc in multi-channel mode and 70 wpc in 2-channel, you can believe it!
Old 02-28-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Onkyo 595.
Old 02-28-02, 03:33 PM

Hi all, thanks for the feedback

Need more comments on

1) the Onkyo 595
2) the Outlaw Audio 1050
3) the Marantz SR5200
4) Denon 1802

btw, does anybody know a good local place to check out this receivers ANYWHERE NEARBY PORTLAND, OREGON area? pls mail me or post here. any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-28-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Denon 2802 and I love it. I have it hooked up to Paradigm speakers and they have never sounded better.

Outlaw is a high quality product judging by reviews, but it can only be bought online:
www.outlawaudio.com

The Marantz is a good choice, but I heard about some quality problems a while back so I passed on it.

I had an Onkyo 575 which was a very nice sounding receiver also so I would recommend Onkyo also.

Check the manufactures websites for dealers located in your area!

And make sure you buy from an Authorized dealer!

I know this isn't too informative, but I am pressed for time
Old 02-28-02, 11:12 PM
Cool New Member

Review source

www.ecoustics.com is a good source for reviews of all the receivers listed.
They compile listings of reviews done by various magazines (heavy on UK mags) and also links to AudioReview user reviews.
Old 02-28-02, 11:27 PM

What about a refurbished Harman Kardon 510 for $488 or a new one for $548 from their website. www.Harmanaudio.com. The new model for 2002 is the 520.
Old 03-01-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ahadi,

Again, I urge you to listen for yourself. The tendency is for everyone to "vote" for the piece of equipment they have - and often they haven't even listened to the other ones you're considering!

I'm familiar with the four receivers you're looking at, with the exception of the Denon 1802. Never gotten a demo for that one; don't have a friend with one; etc. But my preferences and needs may well be quite a bit different than yours. The one I'd choose might not be the one I'd recommend to you.

What are you looking for? What features are must-haves for you? Do you place a higher priority on sound quality or digital processing doo-dads? Do you prefer running your two-channel sources in a bypassed "pure" mode or do you like DSPs? Do you need a certain number of specific kinds of connections for your gear (2 coax, 3 optical, etc.)? Do you need a receiver that can pass component video or s-video?

If you don't specify your needs and preferences, then each of us will simply substitute our own!

Best,
RICH.
Old 03-01-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few reviews of the Outlaw 1050 (generally comparing its performance against much more expensive receivers):

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/pvma2001.pdf (The Perfect Vision review)

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/ht12001050.pdf (Home Theater Mag review)

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/o...0_receiver.htm (review of two channel capabilities)
Old 03-01-02, 07:05 PM

if you absolutely need a new receiver now--i'd go with the outlaw 1050 (no Dolby Pro Logic II)

if you can wait a month or two--i'd go with the new onkyo 600 (replacing the 595)

i'm in the same boat you're in and i'm waiting for the new onkyo

http://www.onkyousa.com/comingsoon.cfm
Old 03-02-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got a brand new Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX off of ubid for about 400 bucks. This receiver is THX certified does THX EX, and DTS ES Matrix, Component Video Switching, Pre-Outs for all channels (Onkyo does not give you this on 595 and 600 locking you into the internal amps),7.1 channel input for DVD-A/SACD or any future format, MOSFET amplification, and is built like a tank.

The only feature missing is Pro-logic II, which I have not been that impressed with in the few demos I have had. I like CDs in pure 2 channel and don't watch much TV or VHS so for me this was not a big selling point

If you can get a deal on this receiver I think it is well worth it. It has an MSRP of $1,100 which puts it in a different level then most of the receivers already mentioned.

J
Old 03-05-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
Ahadi,

Again, I urge you to listen for yourself. The tendency is for everyone to "vote" for the piece of equipment they have - and often they haven't even listened to the other ones you're considering!
No necessarily true. Most people spending $500 on a receiver will audition several and the ones he listed are some of the best in their price range.

Ahadi,
If you go to the company web sites, you can find dealer locators (with the exception of Outlaw, which only sells direct). I would also consider waiting for the upcoming Onkyo 600, which is due out next month.
Old 03-05-02, 03:53 PM

I have looked at some denon's at my local electronics shop, i don't really like the Denon AVR-1802, but the Denon AVR-2802 and the Denon AVR-3802 comes in mind.

Is it safe to buy them online? or should i get it locally?

Where is the cheapest place to compare/get info on the web? the only place i could find to compare is pricescan.com . anybody else could help me?

How about bidding at ubid or ebay?

are outlaw really reliable?

hope anybody could help! thanks.
Old 03-05-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a Denon 2802 and I can say it is definately the best sounding receiver I have ever owned! I tried using an external dual mono amp(Proton 2080) to power the fronts to improve sound for music listening, but surprisingly the sound did not improve much at all, if any.

I really didn't want to shell out an extra $200 for the 3802, but I am sure if I did I would have been just as happy with it.

I would definately give your local dealer a chance at earning your business. My dealers shelf price was $799 and I bargained him down to $625. Knowing that I will be back to buy a Denon 1600 DVD soon to match my 2802, it was a win/win situation for both of us.

Here is Denon's policy about online buying:

WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS:
The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. DENON Electronics sell products through authorized retail and on-line channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized DENON Electronics dealer/E-tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered. If in doubt, call DENON Electronics at (973)396-0810.

The Outlaw is a good product also but has a few drawbacks:

1. It is ugly!
2. If you have a problem you have to ship it back to Outlaw!
3. You can't listen before you buy!

The Denon offers alot more features that the Outlaw also. If you like the sound of the Denon and it is in your price range go for it, you won't be disappointed