Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic A115 is dropping audio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I'm having a problem with my Panasonic A115. I watched The Goonies and The Lost Boys this past weekend. I've watched The Goonies before without problems, and The Lost Boys was brand-new.

About every 5 minutes or so, the audio was dropping out for a second or twp. I've had this player for a little over 2 years and never had a problem. Could this be the beginning of the end? I've never cleaned it, but I've read on here that you shouldn't have to. I did run my cd player cleaning disc through it but it didn't help.

Any suggestions for this or am I off to Best Buy? I was planning on getting a progressive scan player anyway, but I was hoping to keep the Panny around.
Old 02-25-02, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be your cables. Before you go out a purchase a new player, you might want to check the connections (yes, again) and try swaping cables. Replacing a $10 cable is better than a $200 player.
Old 02-25-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Is this the only source that is dropping the audio?

I would also check a cd player and even FM. It could be the speaker connections or the cold solder joints in the receiver itself.
Old 02-25-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
We watch DirecTV throught the receiver constantly and it hasn't happened with that, so I'm thinking it's either the player or the optical cable. I'll swap in a new optical cable when I get home to see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice
Old 02-26-02, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

I have similar problems with my A110 on occasion, but it seems to be on a per-disk basis (and has only happened on 2 disks). I know this happened with Sleepy Hollow, and I can't remember which other disk. Dunno what the problem is, but at least you're not alone...
Old 03-02-02, 04:46 PM

It Might Not Be Your A115

My brother began experiencing audio dropouts a year ago and it was found to be a problem in the receiver, not the DVD player.

Because he heard drop outs in the replacement of his original receiver and a different model we concluded it must be a fault of his Panasonic (A330 I believe) but when he purchased a Marantz DVD player the problem still occured. Speaking with technicians from both companies (Yamaha and I believer Sherwood Newcastle) he was told some of their receivers had problems with digital signals which caused split second, random dropouts.

He has a new Yamaha receiver and once in blue moon experiences a split second audio drop out, but the occurances are very rare.

So don't look into a new DVD player so fast, cause after months of frustration my brother finally found out it was a problem with the receiver and not the player.
Old 03-03-02, 05:28 AM

It is not your DVD Player

My brother explained things pretty well in the previous reply.

When I bought the Yamaha HTR-5280 A/V receiver, I began using a digital connection from my Panasonic DVD A320 for the first time.

Right away I began experiencing an occasional random audio dropout on DD and DTS only. It would happen once or twice per movie at most. Phone calls to both Crutchfield and Yamaha seemed to point to the DVD player being at fault since I tried a few different cables.

But later on when I tried two different DVD players and still got those random dropouts, I knew it was not the DVD player but the receiver.

I first tried another 5280 receiver and had the same problem.

Now I have the Yamaha RX-V1000 and the occurrence of random audio dropouts is very very rare so I can live with it.

So the chances are that it is not your DVD player but your receiver unless it is only happening with one particular DVD. Then it would be the DVD itself.