Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

optical cable question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

optical cable question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's not jack this thread too far into the Monster debate territory...

ivelostr2 - What do you mean "off"? Your make and model of player and/or receiver might help... I have a Sony and I'm pretty sure in the audio setup menu there is a choice for optical out on or off. Obviously, it needs to be on. Start there and see what kind of options you have... I think we've gone about as far as we can with the info you've made available.
Old 02-27-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012

I think most people would agree that the $10,000+ system I am referring to is pretty quality. Not the best, but better than most. I switched out some cables I received with the products for Monster and saw a great difference. More recently, my friend just purchased a Sony Wega 36". He switched out the cheep s-video cable for a Monster and results were noticable. Monster is great stuff which will improve your system.
well, i don't have monster cables, but I also don't have $10,000. Maybe that is why you can tell the difference. I have a $400 reciever, $700 in speakers, and a $300 dvd player, I'm sure you can tell much more the difference in the quality on your system than I can on mine.
Old 02-27-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, who here owns a DVP S-560?

Doesn't this model have an onboard DD/DTS decoder? Could that have anything to do with this problem?
Old 02-27-02, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Let's not jack this thread too far into the Monster debate territory...

ivelostr2 - What do you mean "off"? Your make and model of player and/or receiver might help... I have a Sony and I'm pretty sure in the audio setup menu there is a choice for optical out on or off. Obviously, it needs to be on. Start there and see what kind of options you have... I think we've gone about as far as we can with the info you've made available.
sorry, I was doing 2 things at once and didn't pre read my post, I meant it say that it was set to dolby digital
Old 02-27-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ivelostr2
I checked, I have 2 options, D-PCM, or dolby digital.
it was set on dolby digital, no bitsteam option,

I have a sony dvd player dvps560D
and a sony reciever str DE 875

thankn you all for so much help, or attemps at it anyway
I don't have Sony products so I can't help much sorry

There are alot of people here with those models though, so hopefully someone will be able help you out!

All I can say is try setting it to PCM and playing a CD to see if you get any sound that way.
Old 02-27-02, 04:32 PM
Banned

I don't have Sony equipment... sorry I can't be of further assistance in helping you solve your problem.
Old 02-27-02, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by jumbojp

I don't have Sony products so I can't help much sorry

There are alot of people here with those models though, so hopefully someone will be able help you out!

All I can say is try setting it to PCM and playing a CD to see if you get any sound that way.
do you mean, try playing a cd with the optical cable attached?
Old 02-27-02, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Okay, who here owns a DVP S-560?

Doesn't this model have an onboard DD/DTS decoder? Could that have anything to do with this problem?
It does have a dd/dts decoder "onboard"
Old 02-27-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ivelostr2

do you mean, try playing a cd with the optical cable attached?
Yes and put it in PCM mode

I am just trying to determine if it is your settings or your cable, hopefully it isn't both
Old 02-27-02, 11:24 PM

Does the optical cable you bought have Toslink to Toslink connectors on the end? The are two types of end connectors on optical cables, the name of the other type escapes me( I believe that some mini disc players use them) but the cable you need should have Toslink connectors on each end. If it doesn't, that could explain why they don't seem to fit right. I have a Sony dvd player and a Sony reciever, my dvd player is hooked by optical cable to the dvd/ld input, I also have a Sony laserdisc player that I hooked into the tv/sat input with another optical cable. Try hooking your cable into the other optical input (tv/sat) on your receiver, see if you are getting any output there. If not, it is probably a broken cable. Look around, you can usually find a decent cable for around $20
Old 03-06-02, 12:37 AM

As for the Monster cable debate, don't waste your money. Not because Monster Cable makes an inferior product, but because there are are a dozen knock-offs that offer identical quality for a fraction of the price. High-end cables are good, Monster is a rip. You might as well buy your dvds in your local mall.

Also, NEVER BUY A HIGH END DIGITAL COAXIAL CABLE!!! There is no difference between high end and low end.