Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Online Purchase of Electronics

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of researching new home theater equipment. I have settled on the Denon 2802 for my new receiver and I am currently debating between the Mitsu 55819 and the Toshiba 57H81 for my HDTV purchase. My question to the members of the forum are, how safe would an online purchase of either of these be? Online shopping for either of these could easily save me $200.00 minimum. I'm just leary about potentially having such a large amount of money paid out and maybe waiting several weeks (at the worst) before receiving my merchandise. Any opinions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My suggestion is don't go the online route for a big screen TV. If for some reason it is DOA or has another problem, you are going to have one hell of a time sending the unit back.

For purchases that big I usually like to look locally because problems can always crop up on a unit, and ease of return. I think having that peace of mind, and a short turnaround on problems is well worth the 200 dollars you may save.

J
Old 02-06-02, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur. I just bought a Onyko 494 from JandR...no problems.

But I'm looking for a sony WEGA, and I'm going locally for it as that size of an item, you're just asking for trouble.
Old 02-06-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other day I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 57H81 From an e-tailer (onecall.com) - this is my first online electronics purchase, and I am a little nervous as to any potential issues that may crop up. I did spend a bunch of time researching this, particularly through hometheaterspot.com, before finally deciding that it was worth the potential hassle. If all goes well, the $ I saved from not buying at Best Buy will pay for ISF calibration when that time comes

If you do decide to buy a TV online, consider the shipping options: standard delivery usually means the item will be dropped off curbside, and you will need to find family, friends and/or neighbors to help get the beast inside. In-home delivery (white glove) means that the item will be taken inside by the delivery people, plugged in, and packing materials disposed of, and this costs more. If you go the white glove route, find out how the TV will be handled: will they have more than 2 people, do they have straps and heavy duty dollies, etc - I have heard about big TVs being damaged by improper handling during delivery

Good luck with your choice. My TV was shipped the same day of order (this past Monday), and is scheduled to arrive next week
Old 02-06-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For an big ticket electronics items, I would prefer to buy from a store for the peace of mind that I can take it back somewhere if it turns out to be a lemon.
The only expensive item I purchased online was my Samsung HDTV decoder, and that was only because nobody within 50 miles of me carried it. Then I got some feedback to find a reputable place. In the end, everything turned out great, and no tax as a bonus!
Old 02-06-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you order a big screen TV online I would really suggest not going curbside delivery and pick the one up from that. It can be called white glove, red carpet, etc. but it does cost a bit more.

The reason I suggest that is because if there is a problem with it and it has to go back then it's a bit easier. For example:

With curbside deliver they drop it off, you have to bring it in, unpack it, set it up, etc. If there is a problem with it you have to repack it and move it to the door for them. Chances are you ripped the boxing up trying to get it out and are unable to repack it.

With white glove/red carpet they bring it in , unpack it and place it where it needs to go (usually they don't hook it up, but service varies.) If there is a problem, they are responsible for repacking it, and moving it out. In the end, it's easier on you.

Returns are not a nightmare, as someone suggested, they just take longer and the return of the item is out of your hands. Also, the $200-300 you save buying online can be eaten up with the delivery costs. In the end, it's probably better to get a deal on free delivery from a retailer. Just make sure they'll pick up returns as well.
Old 02-06-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buying a receiver online is painless. The only thing you want to do is be sure to buy from an authorized dealer. Some manufacturers --- Denon included --- specifically require that you buy from an authorized retailer for the warranty to be valid.

Most manufacturers list authorized e-tailers on their Web sites. J & R is authorized and they seem to have the best prices if you call them up.
Old 02-10-02, 09:27 PM
Banned

Just got my 57" sony widescreen HDTV from Sears.
kp57hw40

i was close to buying it from wholesaleconnection.com

I got it for $2299, so if you want the receipt, goto my website in my linky below, and email me..
Old 02-12-02, 02:48 PM

Made decision...

I just paid for my Misubishi WS55819 a few hours ago. $2599 delivered. My local HiFi House matched Hype Audio's (internet company) price of $2357.00 + $150.00 as close as they could without hearing crap from the regional manager. I could have gone to Tweeter and gotten the full price match, but the sales person (shout out to Ray W.) was real helpful the few times I was in there researching various models. Delivery is set for Friday the 15th. I'll give you guys an update after I've had time to fully take it in. Thanks for the input. Now I just have to make up my mind between the Yamaha 5490 and the Denon 2802 receivers...
Old 02-13-02, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Master J
My suggestion is don't go the online route for a big screen TV. If for some reason it is DOA or has another problem, you are going to have one hell of a time sending the unit back.

I agree. I bought my 61" Hitachi HDTV (61SWX10B) at my local Circuit City for this very reason, and I'm glad I did. When the unit arrived it had a barely perceptible fracture on the screen which I suspect was caused by the deliverymen moving the item up the two flights of stairs to my apartment. Because I was dealing with a local B&M, they swaped out the damaged television at no charge and with minimal hassle.

Edit: CC's 12-month no-interest financing on this set was the other major consideration that prompted me to go with them.

Last edited by Trekaholic; 02-19-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the 57h81 arrived from onecall.com yesterday, in perfect working condition (so far)

Ran Avia and did my 9-pt convergence, and I have to say that with DVD it is pretty amazing! Analog cable does leave a bit to be desired, but most of my viewing is going to be DVDs - I am still considering my options for cable/sat/whatever

I was talking with the delivery guys (who seem to have been moving a lot of these monsters lately ) and they were telling me about this one customer about 10 miles away who has ordered a 65" TV, who apparently lives on some property with very uneven terrain, and has asked them to bring the set around to the back of the house so that they can transport it in some kind of lawn tractor trailor
Old 02-17-02, 12:31 PM

Hmmm.. worth the $200 or $300 difference?

Let's see...I just bought my set. Pioneer SD643HD5 online..
Total price, delivered..$3540...

Local dealer wanted $4200, then add tax of 8.5%...even with free delivery... not even close..

I would suspect it depends on which set you are buying too. Hitachi is easy to find locally, as is most of the other major brands.

Still....nothing wrong at all with saving $$$...just think, if it's "only" 200 or 300 hundred... that will buy your DVD player! or a lot of DVD's! or some new clothes for the wife!

I had no problem with ordering from online dealer...except.. don't believe they have it in stock...I found that no matter what... it usually will take 2 weeks for delivery... in stock or not..
Good luck!